Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How soon can I use Synthetic Oil

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Apr 14, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Fellas, as some of you may know, I recently swapped in a brand new GM Crate motor. I know that you are suppose to change the oil in the beginning after revving up the engine some, and then after the first 500miles and then 3000 after that. Well, right now I'm still working on the first 500 miles, but would like to know how soon can I put Synthetic oil in there, such as Mobil 1? After the first 500, or after the first 3000 change? Thanks for your help.
    Boss

2. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i started with the synthetic after the 3000 change. that first 3000 is when more than usual wear will occur and it does pay to put the expensive oil in

3. cocky

cocky Registered Member

My mom just had her 350 rebuilt in her 3/4 89 chevy pickup. The guy that rebuilt it told her never to run synthetic in it. I don't know why he said that. I always thought synthetic was better than regular oil.

Richard
    1970 k5 Blazer
    Don't stand in front of a train naked

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Synthetic oil is great stuff, thats why almost every aircraft in the world uses it. I would start using it after 2 or three oil changes. On the other hand, petro-based oils have come a long way and are pretty good to your engine at a greatly reduced price.