Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How strong are my 10 bolt axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jds_lpd, Aug 20, 2004.

1. jds_lpd

jds_lpd Registered Member

Buying replacement Dana Series axles are expensive. So my question is how strong are my 10 bolt axles. I live in West Tennessee. The only riding will be trail rides down logging roads and railroad beds, but I am a volunteer firefighter and may someday have to go through some serious trails or major mud to get to a scene. Will my axles hold up to 33" tires, daily driving and still be ready. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You should be fine with 33's... If you want, keep your eyes open in your local salvage yards for a 12 bolt or a 6 lug 14SF. You could even go with a 14FF, but then you would need to swap your front end out to 8 lug and buy new rims....

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah would say you will be fine with 33's especially if you aren't locked. Larger tires or the addition of a locker will decrease the life of the 10 bolts. Actually the rear is the weak one the front will hold up pretty good, but we've all heard the stories about 10 b rears exploding on the street with 31's /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Don't drive it like a madman, and carry a spare shaft or two and you'll be ok /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Eaton posi and 30 spline axles, youll be fine.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Spider gears and Gov-locks are the weak point on 33s and under.

6. jds_lpd

Thanks for the help guys. I dont drive the truck alot, because the department has a take home program for officers so my 1999 Crown Vic gets me back and forth to work on a daily basis. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

you'll be fine...all too often with this site too many people get roped into the "You need 1 TON!!" mentallity, and it just isnt the case always...with yer setup 33's and 10bolts...Id put money on it you arnt gonna break em! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    you'll be fine...all too often with this site too many people get roped into the "You need 1 TON!!" mentallity, and it just isnt the case always...with yer setup 33's and 10bolts...Id put money on it you arnt gonna break em! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

[​IMG] well thats whats left of my 10 bolt.. look in the closest part of the wheel barrow youll see the carrier is in a few pieces. but thats the original rear with 200k+ on it.(and the last few thousand havent been easy) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif BTW i do have 33X12.50's... but i did replace it with another 10 bolt and plan on modifing my driving habits a lil -ex. no hard launches or hot pavement /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif always gotta show off /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif) i have no doubt that this rear will last me a long time!! and i am also a volunteer firefighter and this lesson has tought me alot, and given me spare axle shafts /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif good luck!

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Buying replacement Dana Series axles are expensive. So my question is how strong are my 10 bolt axles. I live in West Tennessee. The only riding will be trail rides down logging roads and railroad beds, but I am a volunteer firefighter and may someday have to go through some serious trails or major mud to get to a scene. Will my axles hold up to 33" tires, daily driving and still be ready. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Your 10 bolts will probley be just fine. Do you plan on larger tires then 33's ?? What gears do you have ?? I have 36's and 3/4 ton axles.

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is that a Gov-Lock?

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

as long as youre not trying to turn huge tires and arent railing ther truck hard then youll be fine with 8.5" axles,

the 8.5" have bigger pinion stem and rarely seen blown up cept when they have gov lok unit in them, but they always blow up anyways no matter what axle they are in, eventually anwyays,

good luck

13. jds_lpd

[ QUOTE ]
    Your 10 bolts will probley be just fine. Do you plan on larger tires then 33's ?? What gears do you have ?? I have 36's and 3/4 ton axles.

[/ QUOTE ]

No 33's are as big as I plan to go and will be running a 4.56 or 4.88 gear. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

14. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I've run two trucks HARD on 33's. one with a 12-bolt (72) one with a 10-bolt (89). No problems yet and I've been pretty crazy. That skinny pedal just screams for more.

By the way, I'm a volunteer fireman too. There are a lot of us here!

15. jds_lpd

I my a fulltime Police Officer and a volunteer firefighter. Thanks to all of you for the help /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif