Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How strong is the cab, with the top off?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, May 15, 2002.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

My kids are yapping for me to take the top off my 85, They want to ride around with me with the 'wind in their hair'
    A pretty morbid question, is, god forbid, just how strong is the cab in a rollover? I remember reading somewhere that the cab had OEM 'built in roll bars' ? I have no roll cage on this particular K5 as it's a daily street driver basically, the thought of me with the kids in back in the event of an accident scares me....
    Any advice? reassurance would be greatly appreciated....

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The steel half top is actually pretty strong. When I spliced the body on my Jimmy I had to cut through the 'B' pillar part of the roof and there are a few layers of thicker steel in there for sure!

I'd say as long as the seatbelts are being used in the back seat you'd still be safer than in a car. I've had my own 2 daughters buckled up in the rear seat without the fibreglass halftop on the truck a few times. They really like it.

Rene

3. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Apparently, sometime ago I mumbled when summer arrived I'd take them out for icecream 'posing' with the top off, they have memories like elephants...Now, if only they remembered as good, to do their homework, chores, tidy their room hahahaha
    Thanks for the info

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I think this is one of the big reasons that GM went away from the full convertible top.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you were to roll it I wouldn't count on the 'glass top for too much protection. I don't hesitate to put my daughter in the back w/o the top on. The 1/2 cab is reinforced, the steel is of a heavier guage than the floor panel and laired.