Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How strong is the half cab roll bar?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sled_dog, Feb 25, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Have an 84 Blazer, wondering how strong the factory half cab roll bar is. Wondering if I should just reinforce the stocker or put a full loop in.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Have an 84 Blazer, wondering how strong the factory half cab roll bar is. Wondering if I should just reinforce the stocker or put a full loop in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be able to tell you soon, I will be cutting one up and extending the body. I should be able to see how thick and how many layers there is.
    It won't be before a couple of months though.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've heard that they are very substantial. Maybe Laketex will hop in here and tell you about his expereince CUTTING his half cab off! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

-Dan

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Ive seen pics of Blazers that have been rolled and they hold up pretty decent IMO. I think you can find some on the home page in the rides area. Ill see if I can get a link.

Broncos on the other hand squash like a pancake. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif My buddy rolled his.

5. Pure Insanity

Looks like that section is gone. But I remember a Blazer that was shown that had been rolled at high speed. Looked OK to me.

DesertDueler (I think) rolled his pretty bad about a yr or so ago.

6. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

if an event required you to have a roll bar would the factory one count

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks like that section is gone. But I remember a Blazer that was shown that had been rolled at high speed. Looked OK to me.

DesertDueler (I think) rolled his pretty bad about a yr or so ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep I think he rolled it 6 times down a dune or something. Concidering what hgappen it didn't crush dowm much. Now the front legs at the windshield came down a good bit. Newer balzers also have a Steel channel over the tailgate in the hard top as well. Not sure when that was added in. I know early 74 didn't have it. I have seen tops split at the seam and there was no bar stell in it. It may have come in with the second top that started late 74 with the overlap seams. That may have been the cure for the tops breaking at that roof seam.

8. Pure Insanity

DDs didnt look all that bad to me for what it went thru. I think he may still have pics of it on his website. The area over his head stayed pretty stable.

9. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i've cut the top off of blazer before. i believe it was 3 layers of steel wrapped around itself. it was pretty decent. in my mind if you feel like your going to roll it....put in a cage and do it right the first time.

10. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Sort of a related question: I heard that if I take my 85 stock Jimmy into any high-flex situations without the top, I will end up tweakin the frame and/or body. Is this true? If so, what next?

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, Dan (DesertDueler) did roll his pretty bad awhile back. The half cab roll bar did pretty good. It held up pretty well. The top just destroyed itself, but the half cab held ok from the pics and video I saw of it.

I personally would put another loop in there and get a full cage done. The more strength the better. When I get the money the full cage goes in.