Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Strong Of A Winch Is Needed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Saxwonder84, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Saxwonder84

Saxwonder84 1/2 ton status

I'm just curious how big of a winch in lb. pull I need to drag my blazer around.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

At least 1 1/2 times the weight of the truck is what I was told. So 9500 pounds sounds like a start , but more is better in this instance /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

It says in the book of winches (jokes), that you have to. or should have a winch that can at least pull 1.5 times your mass of your truck. So if it's mass is 6000 pounds, it will need a winch that can pull at least 9,000 pounds /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Most people go for more though, get a MM 12,000 they are cheap in price /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ah! you beat me to it /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mayby im strange or dumb but i dont plan on winching up the side of a skyscaper, a friend just put a Warn 8000lb on his rig and i will be getting the same thing, its light and compact plus i just dont see needing one of the big ones, of course i could be putting my foot in my mouth right now, but we wont know that untill later /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

You have the option of using a smaller winch if you get a snatch block.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

These will double your pulling rate, but they do cut your line speed in half...

You attach these to what ever solid object you would normally attach your winch cable to. Then you run your winch cable thru the snatch block back to a recovery point on your vehicle. By doing this you just turned your 9500 lbs winch into something that can pull 19K lbs. Or break the snot out of something trying it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mayby im strange or dumb but i dont plan on winching up the side of a skyscaper, a friend just put a Warn 8000lb on his rig and i will be getting the same thing, its light and compact plus i just dont see needing one of the big ones, of course i could be putting my foot in my mouth right now, but we wont know that untill later /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that it depends on type of wheelin you do. I've seen some trucks that are not capable of getting stuck bad enough to require anything more that a 3000 LB ATV winch. I run 9" of lift and have been stuck before with 38.5 hawg's and the mud was up to the bottom of my doors. When trying to drag 4 tires, 2 axles, and some frame through the mud a large winch is needed. It just depends on what you plan to do with it...

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I try to stay away from the mud but in north click thats impossible, i have been out in the croitan and buried my 40"s frame and all that, it was to point from me trying to drive out that the hood was at ground level, not that i have the biggest truck around but thats over five feet deep, had a friend hook up to the back and was out, my point is just that for me not wanting to hang from a winch line off a rock, a big winch isnt needed.

9. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Ya, your probably right. As mentioned above you could always use a snatch block for twice the power. Who cares if the line speed is only half, I'm just glad to be out /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

The guy that I bought my lift kit from on ebay has a sweet deal on milemarker 8000 LB winches, that's probably what I'll go with 'cuz it's a lot cheaper $$$.

10. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] I have been using my MM9000lbs winch for 2 years now with no problems and have seriously put it to the test.including pulling my brothers Jeap cherokee up the side of that cliff at i would say a 70 deg. angle .It was a real good price and i couldnt be happier with the performance.

11. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

Remember snatch blocks not only cut line speed in half but also line length. I had a ramsey 3.6 hp 8k that was fine w/ 1/2 tons and 36's but w/ 38's and 3/4 tons it almost couldn't get me out of a bind even after i solved my lake of line prob. Warn m12k now gets me (and my buds) out of everything. Remember too that when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere in the cold and it's getting dark you will kick yourself for trying to save a few hundred on a cheaper winch.

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A bigger winch might be better, but under most circumstances an 8,000 - 9,000 lb. winch will get the job done. The biggest exception would be deep mud in which the suction creates more force to overcome.

My 6,000 lb. Blazer has been stuck over the bumpers in mud before and it was pulled out by an 8,000 lb. Warn with a snatch block. It has also been pulled up a fairly steep grade by a 9,000 lb. Superwinch after breaking the front axle.

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Remember snatch blocks not only cut line speed in half but also line length

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes that's good; it can get the cable down to the first couple wraps on the drum where the winch has it's rated pull....