Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How tall can I go without changing drivelines?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ellero, May 10, 2004.

1. ellero

ellero Registered Member

I have an 84 K5 blazer and and still stock sitting on worn down 33s. I want to go with a 6 inch lift and 35s, but am concerned that I might have to change my drivelines. I plan to change out to 3/4 or 1 ton axles in the future when the money is there, but it will be a while. My goal is to clear 35s with maximum flex. I drive this truck hard and it does see quite a bit of air time in the desert. It also spemds a lot of time in the sand and mud. I just dont want to have to make a MOD only to have to do it over again. Please help me with any advice. I want to do it right the first time, but money is tight and I have to do it in stages. If anyone has built a truck well over time while still using it between MODs, your info would be greatfull. Thanks. John /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've seen members running small lifts and large tires by trimming fenders. When I went 6" lift, I had to have new driveshafts made, no biggie in my opinion.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    My goal is to clear 35s with maximum flex. I drive this truck hard and it does see quite a bit of air time in the desert.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you jump your truck you want to keep a low center of gravity by lifting it the minimum amount nessisary. I think you can reach your goal with 2.5-4" lift, 35" tires and some fender trimming. Not only would you need to modify your drivelines for 6" lift but there are also longer shocks, steering correction, extended brake lines, etc. The more you lift it the more mods are req'd to correct the changes.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you want air under your truck in the desert, you should brace the front diff so the tubes don't break off the center section. See the april Four Wheeler for a cool oops pic /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I am running 6" roughly with 38.5x14.5 swampers, I relocated the axles 1.5" forward and back added some 4* shims and I have no problem at all, I had to trim the sheetmetal, but 35's should fit fine

6. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

My yellow K5 in my webshots has BFG 35's with a 2.5" lift and trimmed fenders. I don't run any sway bar and I don't have any problem with rubbing(check the album that says Tecate flex). It is very comfortable and stable to drive.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you want 35s with maximum flex, use the softest 2.5" springs you can find and start hacking.

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I totally concur.
    I started cutting my fenders this week and I only have 2.5" springs, I could easily fit 35's now.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If your 84' is rust free than don't cut the fenders....keep it in good shape especially if you plan on reselling it one day. Most of the people that would be interested would look at the fenders and say "What the heck did you do to it?" You would be lucky to find someone that didn't mind.

Get the 6" with 35's and see if your drivelines will work...mine did when it was still a 1/2 ton for a long time.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

mine is headed for 4" lift and 44's can you say /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

11. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

6" Lift with 35's

Along with the lift came a new drag link, sway bar kit, longer brake lines, longer shocks, and e-brake kit.

Big tires come when I get some beefier axles.

12. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have 9" of lift with no fender trimming and smashed my fender with a 36 - 12.50 / 16.5 Swamper SX /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If your 84' is rust free than don't cut the fenders....keep it in good shape especially if you plan on reselling it one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

he already said he wheels the truck. posing is not an option here. lower CG is the way to go for sure. soft springs and fender trimming sounds to be your best bet.

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If your 84' is rust free than don't cut the fenders....keep it in good shape especially if you plan on reselling it one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

he already said he wheels the truck. posing is not an option here. lower CG is the way to go for sure. soft springs and fender trimming sounds to be your best bet.

[/ QUOTE ]Nobody said anything about him driving only on the street, he can wheel it plenty without destroying the fenders and still get a good fair for it if he decides to ever resale it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Plus there isn't much for hills in the desert. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Desert is all about high speed. Soft suspension with good shocks and lower COG is still the answer.

There isn't much of anything except mud bogging where increased height is of much advantage, and even that is questionable in most cases.

16. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

4" lift only requires minimal cutting to fit 35" tires.... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif