Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How the @#$% do you get the torsion bars out?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Sandman, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I'm trying to change the clutch in my '92 1 ton tow rig. It looks to me like the crossmember for the torsions bars needs to come out to give room for the transfer case. No problem. I have all the bolts out and all of the tension off of the bars. I've been banging back on the crossmember with an 8 pound sledge. Am I missing a keeper or something? Or am I just fighting rust?

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had to beat the crap out of mine to get them to go forward into the a-arms and out...

3. Sandman

Well one of my friends just suggested to drop the transfercase first and then the tranny. Duh.

You ever been in the situation where you are banging your head against the wall and then a new pair of eyes shows up and points out an easy solution? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. Sandman

I used the floor jack and impact socket method. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

They still didnt come out so I just seperated everything to get it all out.

5. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't feel bad, I did the same damn thing when I pulled the trans out of my 4X S10. I fought, pried, swore, and fought for an evening (only hanging up by about an inch) and the next day asked one of the cats at the trans shop next door to where my store was at the time and he told me drop the 'case and then go after the trans. WOW!! I have seen the light!! Sure felt like a dumbass after that (but a happy dumbass /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) I was done in less than an hour.

6. Sandman

Yeah, I can drop the setup in the Blazer in no time. This is taking forever. Having my right arm in a brace isnt helping either. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

just mark the adjusting bolts, them pull them out and takeit apartput it back together same way. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Did you drop the front lower a-arm? Drop that all the way down and then they should pound right out. If you didnt do that, there was still alot of tension on the bars.

Sounds like you got it done....but now you'll know for next time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif