Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how the f*ck do you use a torch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Sep 29, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

we got a torch but my damn dad wont even teach me how to use it...he doesnt think ill be able to fix my floor..im trying to gut it out right now but i have no clue how to use the torch to get the bolt out...any one know what to do?

2. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

you're gonna get hurt. buy a book.

3. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

If you are still in high school take a shop class or make a friend that is in one, long enough to learn how to weld. Or, I paid $50 for a night shop class at the local junior college. You can do that while you are still in high school too, plus get college credit.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I dont own torches yet but I would try

have a hose or fire extinguisher handy at all times

ensure everything is shut off
    open both bottles
    open acetylene tap on torch
    light with striker
    add oxy until you get a clean inner blue flame
    heat metal until very hot
    then pull oxy trigger to start burning metal

it concerns me that your ole man would rather you figure that out on your own
    would be a lot safer with someone who knows what they are doing standing there
    I assume you will know the basic fire can be dangerous etc.

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Umm, think your leaving the most important things out. Like don't turn the acetylene on over around 15 pounds, but you only need around 3-5 for what your doing. If your just heating things, then just use around 4-5 pounds of acetylene and the same with the oxy.

Now, I feel if you have no one around that will teach you, and you have no experience, I would suggest you don't do it. You have no experience with things like back fires, flash back, etc.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

SAFETY TIPS

MORE SAFETY

I took this one out since it seems to have a malicious script error...Sorry bout that guys!

http://www.esabna.com/eu/literature/Gas/Torches_-_Combination/0-9773-W_Comb_Torch_W200-CW200.pdf

And if you dont understand any of these fully, dont even light the thing. Like said above, take a class at your local junior college or something. While you're there, learn to weld as well!!! And ask your dad before you use his equipment. As well as learn some RESPECT! You just insulted your dad in a public forum, as well as the administrator. There's a reason Steve censors curse words. Perhaps you should think about that one!

Btw, before you rant against me, I just spent about 10 minutes doing a basic yahoo search to get those links. Hope you enjoy and LEARN something. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I say talk with your dad again.... See if he will go out and help you or you'll find someone else to help.... Just grabing a torch and playing with it is dangerous. once you learn the basics than you need to practice to get the touch down... Cutting (and welding) is a art form if you want it to be clean and strong (when welding).

A couple of things others have forgotten to mention. Clean area that is to be Cut or welded (both sides), move to a well ventalated area, make sure no flammable things are around your area of work.

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Thanks for saying what I was going to willyswanter. Acetlyne over 15lbs is a dangerous thing. Your hole post was good advice. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Between your post and Laketexs....I think bryguy will do just fine. lol. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

laketex, good post. Torch work is relatively safe when done right, but there are so many ways it can go wrong. The welding mags at work have lots of stories of people getting killed making stupid preventable mistakes. For all newbies to torch work, just think how much energy is in those bottles! Even forgetting the heat energy from combustion, just knocking the top off a 3000 psi oxy bottle can easily kill someone! Read up and know what your doing, don't take it lightly, your life might depend on it!

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Jimmy88 is right, thiose bottles are under a HUGE amount of pressure. Knock a valve off the top and it will be a rocket. We had one go in my high school shop, it went through a block wall, and across the street into our football stadium, we got lucky nobody was hurt or worse.
    Acetylene is explosive above 15 lbs of pressure. The tank is filled with a porous rock and the gas is kept stored in a acetone based mixture, when the gas is above 15 lbs. BOOM!
    Don't turn the acetylene valve more than about 1/4 turn, you won't need that much gas flowing, it will just make a back flash more likely. You only need about 5 psi for acetylene, and if you are welding then 15 psi for oxy, 60 psi for cutting, stay away from the rosebud tip. It is cool looking and great for preheating but is also the most dangerous tool for a torch setup. If you are just heating stuff up it is much safer to get a cheap butane or MAPP gas torch.
    By all means, take a class on this stuff before you blow yourself up.

11. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I never had used a torch before.when my bosss at the time told me to use it to blast the bolts off a jeep tub to seperate it from the frame,I told him Ididnt know how to use it.so I got with one of the guys who just got out of welding and fabrication at the local tech school,he showed me how to use it properly and safely.after a couple of days of useing it i got the hang of it but could not cut a stright line on 1/2 thick steel.one day I was again cutting the bolts on another heep,and I was wearing cutting goggles,when i was cutting i did not realize the rubber body mounts were on fire,when i went underneith of the jeep to see if it cut threw,(still with the goggles on)a big drop of meling burning rubber fell on my face on my chin /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I quickly drew back and wiped it off taking skin with it,I still have a scar there to this day,just think if it fell in my eye.point here if you do use it please wear some glasses or goggles dont learn the hard way.

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Honestly if you dont have someone near by to help teach you, stay away. But you prob wont, so before you go hacking on the floor become familiar w/ where all the gas and brake lines are, remove the wiring and the gas tank.

Take a class.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i would love to take a class but i really have no time between school and a job..and i am in a hurry kinda to get my blazer running..(its my only vehicle of course) and i want to drive it! im going to need how to weld and cut to yes...my thinking that i should have took shop class instead of engine operation this year.. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx for the good links..and the lecture! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif one of the links dont work though..the tips on cutting and other basic shop tools one...

15. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Well just be careful....Wiring is a pain to fix, brake fluid will burn and gas goes KABOOOOM! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im going to make sure all the wiring is out of the way befor i do the floor, so yes ill watch out for that and gas! i got it all gutted out now...im just waiting for some money so i can order the parts!...yea..what else is new! lol

17. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Just use a sawzall. It's safer and does a better job on the thin stuff like sheet metal. I nearly burned down my truck last winter welding my new floor tin in.

Make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy if you decide to use the torch or welder.