Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How the F@%$ do you get the steering arm disconnected from the draglink?!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Sep 8, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I got started on puting my lift on tonight and that's the one thing I couldnt get. I pounded on it with a pickel fork and BFH for like half and hour and i dont think I even budged it. I tried lifting the axle up so that the draglink was perfectly horizontal but it still did not help. Am I doing something wrong? Where can I get a new draglink or at least the ends (maybe just the little rubber boot-rings) as I may have fubar'd mine by dropping the axle too low to get my lift springs in. So, anyone have any ideas on what I'm doind wrong? Thx

2. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

get a pitman arm removal tool. looks like this: and should be about $10

[​IMG]

3. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: How the F@%$ do you get the steering arm disconnected from the draglink

after removing the tire
    step 1. remove cotter pin from castle nut
    step 2 remove castle nut ( usually 15/16 size )
    step 3 . take bfh and hit the out side rim of the old steering arm 1 or 2 good wacks at the 9 oclock 12 oclok and 3 oclock position
    the vibration from the hit will usually let the drag link "pop " out its self
    believe it or not
    or i like the outher guys idea better more professional but i have done dozens of my way wait till ya try to get the old steering arm off now thats a little tuffer i like lots of wd 40 and i use vise grips if i can get em 2 grad on the cone washers of course after ya remove the 7/8 nuts on the top of em
    then with the vise grips on the #3 cone washer again hit all the sides of the arm to see if the washer will pop up
    good luck

4. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

oh yea new drag link ends are calleed sockets and they can be bought at your local chevy dealer about 60 .00 each

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

or buy a good used 1 complete from me for 20.00 + the ride :-)

6. afroman006

Dang, I have one of those tools I just didnt know waht it was for. Guess I'll try that today and if that doesnt work, BFH it is. Can you replace just the little rubber boot that holds the grease? Thx

7. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

energy suspensions makes urethane tie rod boots maybe they make one for a drag link?

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dang, I have one of those tools I just didnt know waht it was for. Guess I'll try that today and if that doesnt work, BFH it is. Can you replace just the little rubber boot that holds the grease? Thx

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you can buy a boot a most auto parts stores. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

not that you want to hear this, and maybe mine wasnt in good shape, but when i did my lift and took the nutt off, mine pulled out by hand!?!?!?!?!?! but my buddy put his one, we had to take a air jack and hit it for 5 min to break his loose, hope ya get if off
    oh oh oh
    ps
    dont do what i did and install your springs, with wedge backwards, lol plays hell on the drive shafts, lol hahah
    not that i did that /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif just dont do it, ha good luck
    pics of the fiished product would be cool

10. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

ya'll cannot be just trying to get the draglink off of the steering arm- that only took me a light tap with a claw hammer afer removing the crown nut. i don't see how it could be hard at all. if trying to get the steering arm off of the knuckle then find the casting number and hit directly down on it. i figured that out from people saying hit down on it, and then i found the place marked for it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. afroman006

Cool about the boots. I worked on it some more tonight and still couldnt get it disconnected. I couldnt get the puller on the ends though... I tried beating on it but stopped because I didnt want to brake anything but I guess I'll beat the [I love Jeeps] outta it till one of us gives in. Thx for the help guys.

12. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I hit the steering arm w/ a little sledge hammer a couple of times and it pop right up

13. afroman006

Haha, dont I feel likea dumb$hit. Y'all know how there's 3 different sized pickle forks? Well, I didnt and was using the middle sized one where I should have been using the largest one. Borrowed a large one from a friend and had the draglink off in less than a minute. Those little things... Thanks for the help everyone.