Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How the H3|_|_ do i open the back gate/door...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Jul 13, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I had a key made for the back window latch.. on my 74 k5. I cant get the back door to open.. it's locked an dwont unlock I think.. the key fits, turn s both ways a 1/4 turn but wont "unlock" the door.. any ideas???

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Is the lock coded to the key? When I replaced the lock mechanism on my rear gate, had to get the lock coded to my key before it would work.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Are the keys teeth a perfect match to the tumbler? If you had a copy made of a used key, might be that its off just enough to not work. Had this happen to me a while back, had to go to a locksmith and have them make a brand new key from a mold for around $12.

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i took a door lock out and to the locksmith they made a key...

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Is the doors lock the same as the tailgate lock? Also, another thing to consider, dumblers inside locks do wear with use, you may have to take the lock that you want the key for into the locksmith or think about replacing that lock and either have another key for your vehicle or you can have that new lock keyed to your door locks.