Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How the heck do you get the steering arm off?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, May 10, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I've used every hammer I own. If only I had access to a torch. How do you get it off?

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Keep beating.

3. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Just keep beating the hell out of it...

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I bought a 4 lb sledge and smacked it a couple times. When it loosens you'll have to put a small screwdriver in the tapered cone locks and spin them out. That's how I got 'em off. Also, a lot of wd-40 or the like doesn't hurt. I beat it side to side and top/bottom to loosen it up as much as possible. Those taper locks make it a pain in the arse to take off. Mine had been on since 1974, so it was good and stuck.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

If it ain't too late, loosen the 3 nuts and drive around the block, the movement will help free it up. PB blaster or wd-40 will help alot too. I used everything on mine, hammers, pullers, 6 foot pry bar and a torch. After alot of swearing I got it off, then my uncle stopped by and gave me that idea to try...would of saved me a bunch of time and energy,LOL.
    He said thats the way they did them at the dealer.

On my other axle all I did was remove the springs and rolled the axle over and gave it a hit with a hammer and it fell off.LOL

6. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

Turn your wheel to the right so that you can get a good angle at hitting it, and just keep putting penatrating oil on it and smacking it.

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

OTC makes a set of cone pliers that will make that job a peice of cake.
    Once the cones are off the arm will slip right off.
    I do not soak the studs or any of that stuff, I just remove the nuts and with a 6lb hammer I whack one end of the arm upwqards and then reseat it the cone will pop up a little and the pliers will pluck it right out.
    Then I go to the opposite side and repeat.
    Once the 2 end ones are off the middle one will be loose enough to be plucked out also.
    it has not taken me more than 10 minutes to remove a steering arm.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.cartools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&amp;Store_Code=001&amp;Product_Code=hvsdOTC7077&amp;Category_Code=SD>cone pliers</a>

8. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Put the nuts on the bolts and thread them till thier flush with the end of the bolt, and lightly hit them on thier end, this will kinda break the torqe still holding.. then HIT the extending end of the steering arm down and upwards, this will POP the taper loose... if this dont work, go lift weights /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I have the OTC cone pleirs for tapered cones on big rig rear axles they help alot.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think I must have gotten lucky when I recently changed my steering arm, after I removed the nuts I checked to see how long it would take me THIS time to get the steering arm off, what do you know, 13 seconds. I could not believe what had just happened. Some GOD must have come down from upstairs and helped me a bunch THIS time. I used WD40 and a 5 lb. sledge hammer with 3 hits.

11. wahbob

wahbob Registered Member

Cursing alot really helps!