Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How tight are new ball joints....???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ColAdo82K5, Feb 28, 2004.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Ok everyone,
    I just put new ball joints into the flattops, and am putting them on to a 44 housing. I did the torque sequence, 80 on the lower, 50 on the sleeve, 100 on the upper nut. These knuckles are sort of hard to turn ! I've never done this style of ball joints before, so i'm not sure exactly how much "ummfhh" it takes to turn them, while the axle is just sitting on jackstands. I'm thinking one of three things....
    1. Hey numbskull...you over tightened something !
    2. A few thousands pounds of truck would turn that easily !
    3. How stiff would this feel if it had a steering box attached to it...?(hard to do with the axle in the garage and the truck outside)

Did any one else have these ideas when doing balljoints ?
    Thanks
    Blake

2. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

mine were surprisingely tight when a replaced them about a month ago, but everything functions as it should. with the tirrod connected it was pretty damn hard to turn the whole assembley.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

new ones are tight as hell

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

They should be almost too tight to turn your first try. Not so tight you can't move 'em though. I was worried about mine the first time too. Greese them up real good and enjoy less steering wheel play when you get the axle in.

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine were pretty damn tight 'till I torqued them to the proper torque then they were real smooth to turn with not too much effort. The tighter the adjuster sleeve is-the easier they turn. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i dont have my manual in front of me, but there is a spec for the amount of effort it takes to turn the knuckle

7. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

According to spec, at a right angle pull with a fish-scale, should not exceed 25 lbs. for each knuckle in either direction-after initial breakaway that is.

Hope that helps

Mike