Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to adjust steering knuckle stops?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FWP, Jul 28, 2002.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Just finished installing a D60 and was bleeding the power steering system, when I noticed the steering box has more travel than the stops on the knuckles are adjusted to. When the stops hit the axle and I keep turning the wheel it causes major frame flex (not good IMHO)

How are the stop bolts adjusted? I looked through the factory manual and couldn't find any info.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Pretty normal. You don't want the box to bottom before something else does. It will bust the box. Changing how far the knuck can turn can also get you into trouble by allowing the yokes on the axle shaft hit each other and could blow out the U-joint as a result. As odd as it sounds that is operating as it was designed.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks man! Maybe I never noticed how it worked to begin with /forums/images/icons/blush.gif .

How much steering wheel travel past the knuckle stops do you have on Dollar? I got about 3/16 of a turn (70*) on each end. Too much? I'll also watch the U-joints if I do adjust it.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got my stops run out a bit for a "safety net" but I don't think I've got 70*. Sounds like you might want to run them in a bit (just guessing but I've probably got about 45*) but, like Grim said, this is pretty much normal and you don't want to let the box be the limiter.