Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to adjust timing.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by riggz, Feb 27, 2005.

1. riggz

riggz Registered Member

Ok so i've searched the entire forum but with no results. I'm a semi newb with this. I have a timing light, and i know i need to disconnect the brown wire, but what exactly am i doing? I dont see any marks to use. Im a bit lost. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Might wanna pick up a Chilton's manual on your particular application. That said, you loosen the hold down bolt for the distributor and rotate it (the distributor) while watching the timing light flashing on the harmonic balancer/timing pointer until it reads the correct setting. But I just set it till the engine pings a little under heavy load and retard it just a bit until it doesn't ping anymore.

3. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Make sure that you rotate it only a few degrees. It really helps to have someone there to SLIGHTLY rotate it while you watch the light. It is even better if you find someone who has actually done it before to help. That is how I learned how almost 30 years ago. I also learned the fine art of setting points...something I will NEVER do again.

4. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

The timing marks on my 87 were above the balancer. I had to look down from the top between the back of the waterpump and the timing cover.