Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to Air Up Tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TONYP, May 10, 2003.

1. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

how the hell do you air up a tire thats not sealed to the rim. 37" x 12.5" x 15" tire on a 15'x 10" rim. I thought I read that the truckers spray starter fluid and light them to set the bead... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I tried the start fluid once. ONCE! I'll never try again. Apparently when I started this attempt in the morning it was cool. As the day progressed with no luck and got warmer the evaporation rate of the fluid changed. That is bad news. It went from a flamy wump to a explosive kaboom! Three weeks before all the hair grew back on my arms. If you try this be very careful. I would advise against it. Take it to a garage. Most of them have a cheetah gun. Basically an airtank with a quick valve. Much safer. They did my stubborn tire for free. Just my .02

3. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get a racket strap and put on the outside of the tire so that as you tighten it up I will squeeze the middle of the tire (the tread area) and push the beads of the tire out. Then apply air till they start to set then take the strap off. Then air them up I have done this with my tire and it worked great.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

First try a ratchet strap around the tire.

If that doesn't work try the starting fluid

I sprayed 2 quick laps around the rim, ran a "fuse" shot of starting fluid away from the tire and lit the "fuse". I had the core out of the valve stem when I did it. Put the air hose up to it right when it seats or as it cools it will pull the tire back away from the bead.

5. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

if you are going to try the starting fluid thing, do it right, none of this flame thrower crap, you have to get too close to the tire for that. just spray it into the tire and stand back and strike a match as you are throwing it into the tire, MUCH better option if you as me, and simple.

-Scott

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how the hell do you air up a tire thats not sealed to the rim. 37" x 12.5" x 15" tire on a 15'x 10" rim. I thought I read that the truckers spray starter fluid and light them to set the bead... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that only worked when its cold outside?
    I usually just stand the tire up and push on tire while filling air. It will usually catch.
    Never tried the strap around the tire but it sound like the same deal just a little more setup.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with Ringmaster I have used the ratchet strap and it works great for those sturborn tires. They even use this at work sometimes...Jason

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

thanks guys...

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I just did the starting fluid trick on my motorhome a couple weeks ago. Worked fine. Lube the bead first w/ some windex or something.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

give it a blast of air from a co2 tank.

j