Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to article on lights to Gauges

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Metrodps, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK guys I am almost ready to do the change over from idiot lights to factory gauges. I have researched the printed circuit boards and have ALL the numbers for them (gauges, Tach, warning lights). Do you guys think I should do an article on what plugs I change and what I do in the swap?

I have also looked at the tach question too. I could list all the part numbers in the article for the circuit boards and senders.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I like the idea, because it's asked quite often as you know, but people will HAVE to realize that there are many cluster variations, and the wiring will be different based on years. There are at least three major changes in the clusters over the years, and untold minor changes in wiring.

An in-depth article would be nice. It's always nice to explain HOW you figure out which wire does what, instead of just saying "move blue wire from slot 12 in IP connector to slot 3".

People can't use black and white directions written by someone else (again due to the differences in the clusters) but the thought process used to figure out your swap will be valuable no matter what cluster the reader is dealing with. :)

3. Metrodps

Thats what I am looking for dye good input. Thats how all the circuit part numbers came to be. I plan to explain how I checked wiring diagrams and different harness what was what and how I figured it out.

At first I planned to just use the idiots and run after market gauges with the lights as back up but then I got thinking about the clutter ..... :thinking: OH wait I should save that for the book.:haha: :haha:

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Oh yes, and pictures of the connectors, PCB, etc. Preferably hosted somewhere they will always be visible in the post.

It was a revelation when I realized most connectors have each cavity labeled with a number or letter. Not sure how many people realize that. Makes it very easy when trying to figure out wiring from looking at a GM wiring diagram.

5. Metrodps

Heck I thought it was going to be easy till I got my GM (Helm) manual on the wiring then I got real bad head aches . Yea thank God I had the parts truck that jekquistk5 brought from me.

Well once I get a break here in the weather I think I am going for it. Better get some supplies

Beer :smile1:
    chips
    Beer :smirk:
    Beer
    Beer :confused:
    BIG MO FO HAMMER :1zhelp:
    Jack Daniels
    Jack Daniels:(
    chips
    Jack Daniels
    Jack Daniels:angry1:
    push truck out side :eek1: