Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How To BEEF UP AC

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by doublettxsniper, Mar 22, 2004.

1. doublettxsniper

doublettxsniper Registered Member

I've got an 87 k5 3inch body, 3inch suspen, 36x12.50x15 SS TSL's. I'm trying to make the ac my truck blow like a new burban or tahoe. I'm running a retrofit system to blow 134a, system has been cleaned..new accumulator/drier, new orifice tube, system has correct amount of freon, compressor works good, new blower motor also. I have an electric fan hooked up as an auxillary to help pull air thorough the radiator in addition to the stock engine fan. I don't know what else to do to be able to get the volume of air pushed through. In theory I would like to be able to get the motor off a new burban and throw it on there, I just don't believe the connection's match up though. Any suggestions.

2. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

The only thing that I can think of is to get the blower fan from a Suburban, they are supposed to blow more air than a pickup. I have one that I plan on installing, hopefully it makes some difference.
    Also you can get under the dash and make sure all the joints in the ductwork are sealed up nice and tight.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

maybe you can change just the fan part of the setup to a burb one.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

That is what I meant. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. doublettxsniper

What year burb fan do you have?

6. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

best way to get more air is the intallation of suburban rear air. it my blazer sooooo cool. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is your evaporator plugged? When I rebuilt my A/C I bought a new evap and it blows pretty good now. Never heard of using a suburban squirrel cage. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

i put brass check valves in my heater hoses to shut of the heat coming from the heater core and it help out a bunch /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So with the retrofit system, I assume your truck didn't originally have AC, correct, and still has the original non-AC heater box?

If thats the case, an AC fan will NOT fit your truck. The squirrel cage fan is too deep to fit in the standard heater housing...it will hit the firewall before you can bolt the motor in place.

There is a HD heater option for the non-AC trucks, but it is just an AC fan motor, with the "standard" non-AC squirrel cage fan. The motor spins faster.

The AC/HD heater fan is distinguished easily from the non-AC/HD ones because it has a vent hole that a rubber tube hooks up to. For longevity you might want the rubber tube (gets air from the heater box, not outside) but my dads been running one for years open to the elements.

There is a HUGE difference between how much air the HD/AC fans move and what the standard ones move.

10. doublettxsniper

No, it did have AC originally. It's a silverado package. Power everything AC and Heat. But since it's 87 it came with R12 of course. When I said retrofit I meant now it runs R134A freon. Now...the HD Ac blower...where do you find that. Is that a dealer only item, or a special catalog you might know of.