Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to beef up axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 53chevy, Jan 25, 2006.

1. 53chevy

53chevy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've searched this topic but can't get good answers. Well I have an 84 GMC 1 Ton with Dana 60 front and Corp 14 rear with 513 and Det. in the rear. I have about 12 inches of lift. Now i want to put on the 47" LTB's , what parts can i buy to beef up the drive line. Where to buy, and part #'s. Thanks

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You can buy chromoly axleshafts. For the front D60 you have a few options with Yukon being somewhat reasonably priced and something Superiors being more money buy supposedly better. You will also be looking at some bling u-joints. The rear 14FF also has aftermarket shafts available, but honestly if you would start breaking the 14FF on any regular basis then you need bigger axles.

Overall I think you will most likely be pushing the axles to the limit with the 47" tires.........but hey, it would be cool to try.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, 47" is a lot of tire. If you plan on flogging the truck hard, I'd go with superior/CTM shafts/joints up front. Thats pretty much as good as it gets.

In the rear, get some blingin aftermarket shafts and either an ARB Locker or Yukon full spool if you want the ultimate in ff14b beef. With blingin shafts in the 14... the carrier may be a weak point... the detroit uses a stock one... the ARB has its own and its stronger and the full spool gets rid of it entirely. :)

j