Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to bench test a starter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scavenger, Sep 24, 2002.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    I was given 22 old used GM starters from a shop that went out of business. I left the ones that had parts missing, and now I am trying to determine which ones may be working. At one time I thought I saw a post on here where someone told how to bench test and troubleshoot starters, but can't seem to find the article. Is there anyone here who can point me to that post, or advise me of the procedure for bench testing these starters. I need to get rid of the bad ones because I am encroaching on my wifes side of the garage with my junk (what she calls it). Thanks.....Pat

2. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if your hooking it straight to a batter run your hot post to the main post on the back of the solenoid. negative post goes to the case of the starter. run an aligator clip, or something of the likes, from your hot lead on the back of the starter to one of the tiny posts on the side. i think the correct one is if your looking at the back of the starter, on the right. but it really doesnt matter. one will work and one wont. getting the wrong one doesnt make a difference.

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    Here we go...I work at autozone...we have a big old machine but here is bascially the principal behind it.
    Get a set of jumper cables and a charged battery. Hook up the cables to the battery. Take the negitive cable and ground it to the starter...like where the bolts go through. Now use one hand to hold the starter down to your bench or slap it in a vise or something. Take the positive cable and hit it againist the big battery terimal and the little "s" terminal on the soleniod at the same time. You could attach the positive cable on there all the way and use your battery side to make the final connection but whatever...
    The point it to only give the starter juice for about 3 seconds tops. It should fire up like crazy the minute it gets the voltage through it.
    That should do it for ya.
    Blake

4. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

That is the info I was looking for...Thanks guys,
    Pat

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Look out for units that don't throw the gear all the way forward or that seem to not quite make goog contact. The solenoids may be tired. That is the only problem I have ever been able to find in a bench test, other than no operation at all.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Even if they don't work, you've got enough to make a lot of good starters out of ones with "small" problems, like bad solenoids, so you might consider not scrapping them, instead, making one good one out of two bad ones.