Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to build a pre-runner?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swamp donkey, May 29, 2002.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

As some of you know, I was trying to sell my '69 and decided to keep it.
    The truck will take me to work (5 miles) everyday, and surfing on weekends. It would be fun if I could take my truck to glamis, or pismo... but I doubt it will see many rocks. I would love to make it a "pre-runner" style fiberglass fender, long travel go fast and jump truck.... but I don't see alot of people doing that to these, so mabye there is a reason. Anyone know what I might want to do special for a truck that would see sand? I have limited funds, but as I fix / replace things it would be fun to head in that direction.
    Any and all input would be cool - thanks.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

2wd or 4wd?

I have a friend that was going to pre-runner his 69 but he coulden't find any parts for it. The rear suspension on the 2wd would be perfect for long travel...maybe just a longer/relocated panard bar and some longer springs and shocks.

The front I don't think there is any flaired fenders or lift components...which means all custom...could be done but more $$$

Don't let me stop you. That was a few years ago and there might be more stuff out there. One thing is for sure if you do it you will have a very unique truck!

4. Dune_Goon

Dune_Goon Registered Member

BajaConcepts.com makes a set of flare fenders for a '69. I go to Pismo pretty much every weekend, not far from it. What I'm doing to my '72 Jimmy is running a mid '60's 2x4 truck rear suspension on the back of mine (coils). The lengths of the arms and the length of my driveshaft are withing a 1/4 of an inch so it'll pivot perfectly. Then getting some 6" lift coils. And for the front (since I'm 4x4) I'm running a 3-link setup with coil-overs. Anyways I have tons of plans and don't care to type them all out but if you need anything let me know.

5. swamp donkey

Thanks for the post - do have these fenders? do you have pictures of the rear end?

6. lukefalls

lukefalls 1/2 ton status

I have not done any of this with my truck, but check out www.hannemannfiberglass.com They have the front fenders of 155 per side and they look good. They may have what you're looking for. Good luck

7. Dune_Goon

Nope sorry, I don't have these fenders yet (keyword yet) but they seem to be praised. Baja Concepts has some quality fiberglass. I don't have pictures of the rear set-up yet. I'll try to get my girlfriend to take some pictures. It has the weird rearend right now. You know, the rearend where you can take out the third member like a Ford and it has a cover on the back. I forgot what the rearend is called. Anyways I'm going to get my 12 bolt braced and welded up for the rear set-up.

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

That rear end is a GM Corp some call it a Eaton. It's stronger than a 12 bolt. On par with a 14 bolt.

9. swamp donkey

Have I mentioned that I love these boards? so much info. Almost overwhelming for a newbie.
    Keep the ideas comming - and s p e a k v e r y s l o w. I am trying to soak it all in.

10. Dune_Goon

Yeah that's the one, I'm going for light weight and ground clearance though, so I'm just going to semi-float a 12 bolt

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Weigh the eaton I don't think you'll save that much weight by changing to a 12 bolt.

12. Dune_Goon

No, I will. Plus there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 12 bolt. Plus ground clearance is my biggest concern.

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Hell I went from a 1/2 12b to a 3/4 ton eaton it's not as bulky as a 14b ff and more rounded too. I don't like semi floaters in trucks. Maybe if you go to the full floater kit in a 12b. Plus in my set up I went from 3.07s to 4.11s. They wanted to much around here to regear my 1/2 ton stuff.

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Those fenders are cool. I wish they had pictures of the 72 ones. I'm leary of glass body parts though.

15. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

This is a 1972 PU for sale at Race-dezert.com. Maybe you can get some ideas:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/ads/atl.cgi?ct=2&amp;md=second&amp;id=2012>Prerunner</a>