Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to build your own Chassis Dyno

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntsqd, Jul 17, 2004.

1. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Chassis Dyno

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

that looks like a deathtrap!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

That is awesome, talk about working with what you got.

Remington

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL thats an interesting idea... kind of dangerous though /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That's definately a Rednecks dyno. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I was just thinking I want to drive my nice car off a little ledge and hope I hit some tires before smashing my subframe and components.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

That's just brilliant!!! I love stuff like that.

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

i see how it works, but you cant really figure out how much hosepower you make, but it ill certainly let you load it up and break it in good.
    EDIT
    Ahh i see the device there, that will certainly tell you the load, but id like to know how you do determine the HP-tq numbers.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

just noticed the tire doesn't seem to be bolted to that truck axle /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Shouldn't the truck tire have some lugnuts for safety /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[​IMG]

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

that would be what I meant it just came out stupid /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Nah they just used the inner Budd wheel, The inner lug nut is threaded on the outside and has a square head on the end of them for intallation. The outer rim goes over the inner nuts and normal nuts go on over them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i see how it works, but you cant really figure out how much hosepower you make, but it ill certainly let you load it up and break it in good.
    EDIT
    Ahh i see the device there, that will certainly tell you the load, but id like to know how you do determine the HP-tq numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horsepower is nothing more than torque at a certain RPM. A dyno is really a torque-o-meter, than a computer calculates HP automatically.

A homemade engine dyno would be really easy to make. You just attach a brake rotor to the fly wheel of and engine on a stand and the caliper kept from spinning by a dial type torque wrench. Then you set up a tach next to the dial guage and have a laptop with a video camera watching both readings. You get the engine up to full throttle braking at the same time, holding rpms in different intervals across the RPM range of power you want to plot. Then you go back and watch the video and record the givin torque and an RPM and calculate your HP. Of course their are little things like converting the torque readings due to a torque arm in your caliper set up. I mean you could buy a torque meter, but they are very expensive. Oh, a high pressure water cooling of the brake rotor is recommended or you may warp your rotor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Torque x RPM / 5252 = HP

You notice, on every single power plot you'll ever see, the torque and hp lines will always cross at 5252 RPMs, if they dont your looking at a BS plot.