Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to buy a used car from a dealer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DUKE, Dec 9, 2002.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I am exspanding my horizions and purchising another truck. Do not be too dissapointed but i want to get a toyota pickup t100 or tocoma. I have never gone through a dealership and would like some advice on how to negotiate with them and with financing. And before i get any crap for wanting anything else, just remember that getting a new daily driver means my K5 can grow even more.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green">
    NOTE - This is mostly for new cars, but some of it applies to used cars... I didn't read the post well enough... Sorry.

I love buying cars from dealerships. Rule #1 - Do your research, figure out how much you want to pay, and do not go over it. Do not let them talk you into it, do not let them confuse you with the whole "Your monthly payment will only be X amount". Negotiate a cash price, then talk about financing. If you do not know what a dealer holdback is and what the amount is on the car you are looking at is, then you are not ready to go negotiate.

Rule #2 - If you don't get up and walk out the door at least once and make them chase you into the parking lot, you could have gotten the truck for cheaper. I've never gotten up and left fewer than twice. They have ALWAYS come after me. It's basically a game, you just can't let them intimidate you. Show them that you're too smart to screw and they have no choice but to give you a fair deal./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Other good tricks to pull on them -

When they "go check with their manager" to see if they can do a particular price, get up and wander away so they have to go looking for you. I like that one alot.

Make your first offer totally outrageous, since theirs will be outrageous too. If they will not show you the invoice, walk away.

THE NUMBER ONE TIP - However you slice it, if you pay about sticker price OUT THE DOOR, then you got a pretty good deal. This is the easiest way that I've found to know if you're getting a good deal. FOr the record, this applies in CA where there is about an 8% sales tax.

</font color>

3. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

www.edmunds.com is a great resourse for getting invoice prices, dealer holdback information, etc. And to emphasize what Shaggy said, the more information you have the better, and get a price before you talk financing.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That's the kind of truck I want to get in a year or so...for a d.d. (Tacoma - not T100 - don't personally like the looks of the front end)

have you seen my post about them yet?

I'm glad to get info about the whole process too. Everything sounds helpful so far. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

6. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

thanks I never saw that post.

7. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Thanks shaggy, wana come to denver and haggle for me? Sounds like you have the exsperiance. I will practice my brovado.