Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to buy an air compressor?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by spincast375, Apr 1, 2005.

1. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

For general use in garage, eventually to paint '84. What size? what specs? Must run on 110, as 220 not available ingarage. Suggestions on good source to buy? Where to find used? What parts wear out over time/what to look for in used?

My dad had a thirty gallon unit, torches, tools, floor jacks. Ma gave it all away when he died. What a waste. Didn't even give me a chance to pay her for them.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

a portable 20 gallon oilless will do alot for ya.. don't need a ton of air for painting... it will run most tools within reason... air intensive stuff like inline sanders will laugh at it tho..

i run a 60 gal upright oilless at home.. 110 unit.. it keeps up with just about everything... noisy as all h*ll, but they're cheap.. think i paid $400 for it from Price Club..

keep an eye on the local classifeds..

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I just bought a Craftsman oilless 33 gal 6 HP that came with tools, $299 at Sears. I haven't used it much but so far it's great. You need to check the CFM output @ 40 and 90 PSI and compare to whatever tools you'll be using. Mine puts out 6.4 CFM@90 and 8.5@40. So far enough to run any of your standard automotive tools except for maybe nibbler or high cfm grinders or real big tools.

4. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I have much lust in my heart for this monster..... Link

but I really do not have any where to keep or power it.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

"Contractor" ones work good..

Those compressors they call "contractor" models,with the 2 hot dog shaped tanks and a wheelbarrow shaped cart with handles and a wheel work pretty dam good for such a small unit that runs on 110v--they use them for air nailers and paint sprayers,I personally used one gas powered version at the junkyard to run the 1/2 inch impact wrench,and it impressed me,I didnt have to stop and wait for it to "catch up" much at all--the small tanks and fairly big pump make it pump up to full pressure quickly.They arent a sceaming banshee like the newer diaphram direct drive ones either--I have a "Coleman" one of those--you can hear it 1/4 mile away! :mad:

..It wont run a DA sander or other "air hogging" tools for long though--but for painting I'd say its the ideal choice...its portable,doesn't draw a lot of juice,and not too expensive at a place like Lowe's,Home Depot or Sears--beware of cheap china imitations at discount stores though--I'd get a name brand like Cambell-Hausfeild,or "Speed-Aire",not Yang-Chen!!

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Holy crap thats a great deal! I need a new compressor but cant afford one right now...damn the luck.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

If by paint you mean that you'll be sanding it down and whatnot, you'll need a bigger compressor than one that will power a spray gun to shoot paint. My 5.5hp 30 gallon 120V Craftsman would not keep up with my IR D/A snader when I prepped my truck for paint. It didn't even come close to keeping up... I'm going to get a 220V 60 gallon two stage one of these days. :D

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Since you are restricted to only 110 volt models it will limit your selection of larger units as most of them are 220 volts. When choosing a compressor for in a garage I would always pick the largest one I could afford and have room for. You can never have "too much" air.

9. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'd look for an "oilled" comp. The oiless just don't last for years on in and are called "oilled for life." I used to sell them, and lots of them came back when used with any long amount of time. If I remember right they have what is called a duty cycle given by a %. That % is the precent of time they can stand to be run out of an hour. So like %50 duty cycle would be 30min of kicking on and off over an hour. Most are 75-90%. for home use, industrial are all like %100 duty cycle.

Just my .02

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thanks for reminding me. i got to go pick up free one. :waytogo: :D