Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to change fuel pump?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, May 5, 2002.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 k5 350 tbi and my fuel pump died and i was going to replace it today and have no idea how to do it because i never did it before, but i want to learn, how do you drain the gas out of the tank, also any tips or tricks you guys have would be appreciated and get the truck back on the road.

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

What type of fuel pump, mechanical or electrical. You need to list what year, engine, etc.

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Fortunately, when I did mine the tank was pretty empty, but your stuck siphoning it out the fill hole or maybe you could remove your filter under the framerail and catch the gas from the lines. It's a simple job. Loosen the O-clamp on the filler tube and pull that off and undo the gas lines at the tank. One is a return line and the other runs to TBI. Then undo the bolts that hold the straps supporting tank and lower tank down. Now there is a ring that surrounds the part where the lines enter the tank. You might need to scrape off a layer of a waxy grease seal to get to ti but take a small punch and tap it lightly on the little ring thing with a hammer to spin it around to where the little tabs on it line up with the slots on the tank and lift it out. Be careful at this point not to bend the little arm with the float attached as you'll mess up gas level sensor. Carefully unplug the electrical connection to pump. unhook the pump output form fuel line and remove the intake screen. And reasemble using new fuel pump the same way it came apart. Easy job, but major pain in the butt. Nows a good time to replace in line filter.

good luck

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The best advice I can think of is have someone who's done them befor come over and walk you through it, that way you won't run into a snagg.

5. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

My advice:
    1. Drain as much gas as possible if your tank is full. I used an old fuel pump connected with longer hoses to pump the gas into some large barrells. (my pump went out with about 30 gallons of gas in it!)
    2. Make sure that the baffle inside the tank is not loose, which they are prone to break off of the studs and knock the fuel pump lines off leaving you without any gas. I replaced the tank after that happened.
    Best of luck!

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I guess I'm pretty lucky. I don't have to remove any gas from my tank when replacing my fuel pump/forums/images/icons/smile.gif. It is mechanical and attached to the engine.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That just means yer not injected lol /forums/images/icons/wink.gif