Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to change t350 front pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGRIG, Feb 8, 2002.

1. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

my trans is leaking and I thought it was the seal but now I thinks its the front pump gone bad. I can buy the pump rebuilt for 37.00 but do I have to take the trans all the way apart or can I just undo the pump bolts and replace it without all the parts all over the place.

Thanx

Chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Have you pulled the inspection cover off to see exactly where it comming from?Clean it off real good with brake cleaner,start it,and crawl under and take a look.If its comming from the converter seal it could be the seal.The seal could have also worn a groove into the converter hub.Even with a small groove in the hub ,most of the time a new seal will fix the leak.If its leaking from between the pump and the housing there is an o ring and a gasket that you can replace.If you pull all the bolts out of the pump it doesnt just fall out ,it takes a little work.I have a pair of big vise grips that my slide hammer screws into .Ya just clamp on to on of the ribs on the face of the pump and give it a couple of whacks and it comes out. Unless the pressures are low or the trans is slipping the pump is probably fine.

But what do I know,Im a Ford guy [​IMG].

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

3. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I already replaced the seal and it still leaked so I'm guessing that the bushing inside the pump went out(pretty common from what I've heard) or the seal where the pump bolts in is leaking. I wanted to make sure that nothing would fall out or was attached to the pump so that I would have to go through the pan or something.

Thanks

Chris

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You did lube the seal before you installed the converter, right? Did the same thing on my pinion yoke, used some gear oil, that didn't cut it, seal failed after about a week. Needed actual grease.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

When you put in the new seal did you pack the backside of it with grease?If ya didnt the spring way have come off.

If your gonna pull the pump you need to do it with the pump pointing up.This way everything stays in place.Iv never installed a new pump in a 350 but I do know on all other pumps I have replaced that you must check your front pump clearance to make sure its still in spec.

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

6. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Yep...greased it and as Soon as I started the truck it leaked again. No wear time. Plus the pump only 37.00 so what the he!!. But I dont want to start with a 40$ part and end up with 200$ in repair cost to fix my mess ya know. Well Thanks guys! Very very helpfull(as usuall)

Chris