Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to change wheel studs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin Ed, May 23, 2003.

1. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

When I went to take my wheels off I discovered FWPW had stripped a couple of my studs. I know it was them because they were the last ones to touch them. Anyways, it's not the first time I had a bad experience with their install work! My question is, how difficult is it to install new studs? It's an '88 10b front... My brother-in-law has a press to help out with the job. Are the wheel studs available from Shucks good enough?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

just pound em out and press them in, it depends on how many you are replacing, as far as Auto parts stores go, one store may have all you need, or you may need to go to a few different stores.

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

It's not too hard. All you really need is tools to take the hub off and a hammer to drive out the old ones.

The BEST way to put the new ones in is to use a press but I've done lots of them without one. I just support the hub and drive them in until they are seated with a hammer and a big punch. DO NOT TRY TO PULL THEM THROUGH THE HUB WITH YOUR LUG NUTS! Many people will tell you that this is OK and it MIGHT work sometimes but it is also possible that they may not seat properly and your wheels will wobble.

As far as where to buy them, I hate Schmucks auto parts. Actually, I just hate some of the idiots that work in the stores (except for the ones that are members here. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

They probably have decent studs but you could probably get them at any parts house or fastener supply store. They Shouldn't be more than about $1.50 - $2.00 each.

Where do you live in Seattle? I'm down in Auburn.

Have fun.

4. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

Hey Goober! I don't live too far from you, down in Renton. Yeah, we have a couple Schmucks over here too... Sounds like we have a few hobbies in common except I run RC gas trucks, do 'puter network admin stuff, and have a son as well!

Take care!

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i always pull them through with lugnuts, works fine

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I discovered FWPW had stripped a couple of my studs.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have heard that they dont always do the best work, but when it comes to studs, any place that takes off your lug nuts can "wring" them off. When too much mud gets in the threads of the stud, the lug nut wont come off and that is the only option. As for getting them off, just beat them out with a hammer. And I have never pressed any in, I just always beat them back in with a big hammer and a punch. That method has always worked fine for me. Its a simple job, as long as you know how to take the hubs apart, which is really pretty easy. Just make sure you have some small dentists picks to get some of the small rings in the hubs out with. That makes it a lot easier. Just my $.02
    -Harrison

7. sdtPOS

sdtPOS Registered Member

Make sure you pick up a spanner socket to get the rotor off....If you dont already have one