Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to? Changing front output shaft in 205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Aug 3, 2005.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just found out that my 205 in my truck has a 10 spline front output. I need to either convert it to the 30 spline shaft so that I can run my flange, or just find a u-bolt style driveshaft. Help me out fellas.

I've never torn into one of these t-cases, so my knowledge is limited without any manuals. How do I do this and can it be done quickly?

2. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I did my swap while in the truck. Its not that hard. Its alot better with two people.
    First, drain the case........ dont ask, i forgot

second, take off the yolk. Impact gun works nice. For that i cheat and put it in 4wd. Be sure to put it back in 2wd, it might not matter, thats just how i did mine.

Third the cover right behind the front out put, take it off. This will leave you looking at the back of your front output, youll see a huge gear. You should then be able to slide out the shaft, a collar and a washer (i think) should fall off. Note the order, i dont remember.

Now, when your putting the other shaft in, have someone with long fingers hold the washer from the front.

I just dove into the project one night. and everything still works. Its a bit interesting putting it back together. Youll do fine,
    This might not be the best "how to" but its easy

3. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

your goin to need a strong impact to get it off.i dont know what my dads is rated at but it wasnt enought to get mine off.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

its pretty easy/straight forward... there is prolly a write up somewhere here or on pirate. Only prob I had is that there is a big snap ring that is a royal biatch without the right tools. I spent an hour trying to get that thing off... then threw up my hands and took it to a local shop, they popped it off for free in like 10 seconds. lol!

j

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i've got the nut and the yoke off. my 3/4" drive sockets and ratchet took care of that.

i'm just trying to decide what to do.....

6. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

good article on how to rebuild...

here's an article with pictures that I used to rebuild my 205. As long as you don't mind it's a F**D site... :rolleyes:

Clicky

Scott