Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to check if shocks are worn

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Jul 11, 2002.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have Rancho 5000's and I think one of them might be worn out. If I take it off how do I know if it's worn out. I think gas shocks are supposed to extend by themselves if you push them in but I think Ranchos are oilfilled and they don't.

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I've always checked for a bad shock by pushing down on the corner of the vehicle where I think I may have a bad shock. Give it a few good shoves at let go, if it stops bouncing immediatly, the shock is good, if it keeps bouncing like a rubber ball, the shock is bad. Stiff springs may negate this test though.

John

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ranchos don't extend on their own i have two hanging in my shed that are sucked in and they stay that way.

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

if the exterior of the shock is getting an oil/ dust film on it, it's usually a sign the seals are leaking and the shock is going bad, as for the movement when trying to compress or extend the shock it should never move freely, if it's really worn out you will be able to push the rod in and out with little resistance, usually they will compress very easliy for a short distance and then develop resistance, this is a sign they are wearing out, new shocks have even resistance at all positions, and are somewhat stiff to compress.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yup. what you said! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Also, another way to tell, is to have someone drive next to you on the freeway and watch for your wheels hopping. If they do, then your shocks are shot. You'll know wheel hop when you see it. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue"> Take one off and try to compress it with your hands ...if you can ...no good ! </font color>

7. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I could compress them with my hands when they were new out of the box(and I'm not built like Arnold) so I don't think that wil work as a reliable test. I guess the best way is to check for leaks and movement without resistence in the shock.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Shocks are valved differently for compression and rebound unless it is a steering stabilizer then it should be valved 50/50. It should move one way faster/slower than the other, but regardless of direction the motion should be smooth and not jumpy.

9. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

I know a good wAy to test

If they look old and crappy like mine then it's time for new 1's. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif