Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to clean a scummy fuel tank?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ducttape114, Apr 28, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

puting in a scummy used fuel tank. i think if i fill it with clean gas, scrub it with a toilet brush and rinse it out with more gas that should do it. anything else i should do? i searched and didnt find anything.

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Somewhere on another site I read that someone put some type of degreaser in the tank, then put about 15 pounds of old nuts, bolts, nails, or any other small hardware. He then shook the tank over and over and all the junk he put in it knocked all the rust and other crud loose and left almost a clean metal finish after he rinsed it out. Sounded rather crude when I read it but it worked well. After that, he used Por15's gas tank repair to line the inside of the tank.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

try some acid, shake it around in there, but put something over the top so you dont get it on yourself

4. por15-texas

por15-texas Registered Member

POR-15 Makes a Gas Tank kit that will clean out the rust and seal the tank.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't put anything in there that will scratch it.

GM tanks are galvanized inside, which is why they almost never rust out from the inside.

I don't think the scrub brush idea is that bad, but you'll miss a lot of places I'm sure. A chemical sounds like a better bet, but still fairly difficult to get at anything that has grown on the top of the tank /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif