Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to clean underbody...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Feb 6, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

What's the best way to clean the underbody... ANd what's the best way to protect it/seal it/rust proof it....
    What have you guy's done...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

What i have used and what others have said that works very well is to get a lawn sprinkler connected to a hose and lay it underneath the truck and turn the water on full blast and let it go to town!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

I used a pressure washer, a putty knife, and an angle grinder with a wire wheel to do the job. I then used por-15 on the severely rusted parts and an oil-based industrial paint called Iron Clad on everything else. Getting all the dirt and undercoating off took FOREVER, but it was worth it. I'm happy with the results. If I had the cash I would've used POR-15 on the entire underside. It seems really durable and has a finish similar to a powdercoat. I whacked it with a hammer and it didn't crack- that was all it took to sell me on the stuff. Hope this helps.

Don't drive it unless it says Chevy!

4. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

It usually takes me a good 3 hours at least to hose off the beast and get the underneath free of mud. I've heard of putting an oscillating lawn sprinkler underneath and letting it sit for awhile but my 76' has so many nooks and crannys that I usually end up with a face full of back-splash when I do it right. Always spray out the rear whl.wells looking forward, there's a big rust and mud catcher there. Heard good stuff about POR-15, Rust-Oleum,Rhinoliner, etc. PS. ALWAYS spray out where the rear wheels roost to, I.E. the back pan and bumper. Soon as ya think yer done.. hose it out for an hour more-time well spent!

"I'm not stuck...I'm just being as ONE with nature"

5. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I used to use a dually Taylormade? forklift to lift the front of my truck up till the back bumper touched the ground.made powerwashing it after a day in the mud easy.But i dont work for that company anymore :(And i dont "mud" anymore.Later...

One From None

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I once took mine to a shop that put my rig up on a lift and then cleaned the entire underside with an industrial steam cleaner. Those suckers take off a lot of crud! Only cost me $15.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>