Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to convert a 2wd TH400 to 4x4?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 29, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've always heard you had to change output shafts, but could you just put a 4x4 adapter on the back and cut down the stock shaft? If I go with a TH400 I will get an Atlas and they say to use their adapter and cut the stock shaft flush with the housing.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

There are at least 4 different tailshaft lengths that I know of. Since the splined area is relatively short, maybe 3"~4", you wont be able to use just any tailshaft. Since the Atlas needs the shaft flush with the case I'd suggest a 203 version tailshaft since it only sticks out an inch or so. The next shaft would be a 208 version but it sticks out 2"~3" so it may not have enough splined area remaining after a cut.

How long of a splined area does the Atlas require?

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I recomend using a th400 with a long 205 output or 208 output and getting the apropriate AA adapter to match. I am running a th400 with the short 203 output (1.25") and combined with the Atlas, it makes my front driveshaft angle a PITA. I am running a 1410 joint at the 60 and a 1350 double cardan at the t-case. My front axle is pushed forward 3.25". At static ride height with 5" of lift in the front, I have a 29* angle on my front shaft.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

problem is I have one or two TH400s but they are both BOP 2wds. As for the Atlas spline requirement, no idea I will look at their site and see.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

How long of a splined area does the Atlas require?

[/ QUOTE ]
    1.967" of splineage

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Advanced sells a 4.25" long adapter for the 400 to Atlas II. Guessing thats the one I would.