Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to correct PS belt with AC compressor removed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, May 9, 2003.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. I did a search on this and didn't really come up with a solution, just acknowledgement that it was a problem.

My 73 Jimmy originally had AC and the PO removed the compressor. My PS belt slips and squeals at idle/low RPMs when trying to turn, and the belt seems fine. I'm going to replace it anyway, but it seems the PS belt slipping is a problem without the extra load from the compressor.

I have no interest in AC, so I'm not going to replace the compressor. In the "near" future I'll be putting a York in that place, but I need it fixed in the meantime. Should a new belt hold up for a while, should I tighten the belt past the original spec, or is there a good way to fix this? Thanks!!

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have been driving without mine for about 2 years without problems. Removing the AC belt should not affect the PS belt as long as it is in good condition and adjusted correctly. Try a new belt, drive it for 30 minutes and then retighten it.

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I agree, you might try to tighten the belt first before replacing it. It may just be out of adjustment.

4. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem when I had my ac unhooked. Got it going again now and it does a lot better. Even with the belt almost stretched as far as you can, the one belt seems to squeal with big tires. Can you run a second short belt right next to the ps belt and just bipass the ac? I'd have to look under my hood to see if anythinf else is in the way.