Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to cure gm hood pop

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Jan 11, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ok guys/girls, how does one cure the notorious gm hood pop on the back of our hoods towards the windshield ? ive had two vehicles in the years of our series of trucks and they both did it. ive screwed around with the hood hinge bolts and the hinges to no avail. the only time ive seen someone fix this is when i was riding with a friend and his hood blew open at considerable speed and it must have streched the hinges but did no damage ! id like to fix this cuz it kind of looks silly. thanks for any input in advance.

darrenolander
    galva,il.
    1979chevycheyenneblazer
    350/350
    gettin'down on all fours, 4 a'little
    x4 play !

2. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

I too would like to find the cure... I've even replaced the hinges to no avail...

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm>www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm</a>

3. k5'er

k5'er Registered Member

hey guys i think there is, i think it was my lmc magazine that i saw it in! it is braces for the hood......yep i just looked, it is called a hood brace kit. it is 15$ in the lmc catalog on page 26 if you have the catalog.

Mud! Its cool!

4. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

GOOD QUESTION! I'M GLAD YOU MADE THIS POST!

My hood sticks up in the back. I have tried all adjustments on the hood hinges and it still sticks up near the windshield when closed.

Please let me know if you get an answer. I have after market fenders and I thought that was the problem.

Thanks again for the post.

"It's better than a sharp stick in the eye."

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Those are for the notorious GM hood bends/kinks (that happen when the hinges get dirty/rusty or the hood gets old). The hood pop-up refers to the back side of the hood not coming all the way down when closed lightly (you have to push it down manually). I have noticed closing it with a little more force usually helps. FWIW

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

6. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

My '77 K5 I had years ago had the same problem. After trying the hood hinge adjustments, I ended up replacing the springs at the hinge, as they stretch over time and lose the ability to pull down the back of the hood. But, I can't remember where I got them!

The brace kit that LMC has that K5'er mentioned is for curing the buckling of the hood on the middle of both sides, not for alignment.

Hope that helps!

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26246038MbQsYWKcbo>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I am going with the new hood and new complete hinges because if you look at the hood braces they might help with a new hood but once the hood is bent then I dont think the screws will hold the hood.I think that what make's the hood do that is the springs are worn and old so the spring can't pull the hood down whidn in turn when the hood is closed in front (latched)the force is making it bow then the kink comes not much later just my 2 cents later-mike

8. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. New springs is a likely fix. I'll try it and let you know. I may even add some metal to the hinge where the spring connects to make the spring tighter and see if that works.

Thanks again.

"It's better than a sharp stick in the eye."

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i have had a problem similiar. the back is down but the middle is p, so i tried the hood brace kit.......useless

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

10. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

well, thanks guys. i may opt to replace my hinges. they look in real good shape. i had all ready done the hood brace kit as preventative medicine. my whole hood for the most part is in real good shape. i have not seen to many older gm trucks that have not done this unless they had all new parts. thanks again.

darrenolander
    galva,il.
    1979chevycheyenneblazer
    350/350
    gettin'down on all fours, 4 a'little
    x4 play !

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

replace the hinges if you think they are bent and go here to buy a softer spring.
    http://www.up22.com/
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

12. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I Have found a way to cure the notorious 70's GM hood disease. Take piece of 1/2"x1/8' flat bar long enough to fill in the indention that runs along the side of the hood you can see the indention with the hood open just make it long enough to fill in the whole indention then drill it and the hood for 6to8 1/4" bolts and bolt it up I would also suggest that you grind down the heads of the bolts to ensure that it willnot interfere with the fender. but it work really gives the hood a more solid look and feel. I wish I could get you some pics but I can't sorry.

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Mine went away when I lossened my bolts, opened the hood up all the way and held it open to full extension. Then tighten the bolts. The front of the hinge sits high and the back of the hinge sits low. Now my hood sits flat.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://24.55.50.76:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

14. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Why would you want to fix it? I just think of it as a cheap alternative to a cowl induction hood. Just kidding, mine's that way too, but I have to much other stuff to spend my money on right now. Someday Hmmm.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

15. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I noticed going down the road @ 65 that the hood seems to "float" a little higher than when I'm stopped. Maybe this puts more stress on it.
    Also I think after a certain year they started making the hoods stronger to prevent this?

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
    - General John Sedgwick (1813-1864), last words

16. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i used a BFH...no more problems[​IMG]

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5
    World's Ugliest Lawn Ornament
    [​IMG] CK5's Moab 2002 or Bust!! [​IMG]