Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to cut draglink down atleast one more inch?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by TopOff, Jun 25, 2003.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have the bent Draglink from ORD.

It looks like I need atleast one more inch maybe really 1 1/2 to cut down.

At one inch and both TREs in ALL the way, I can center my steering box.

One end of the Draglink (the most straight side) is a REAL pain to get the TRE in all the way. I think my TRE bottoms the threads out at 4"!

Shall I cut one inch off the mostly straight DRag link and 1 (or so) inch off my TRE?

OR

Which way to cut?

All I have to cut it with is my air-powered cut-off wheel.

TIA

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

OK, I did what I knew SHOULD be done, but I didn't want to do it.

I cut 3/4 of inch off both ends, while cutting down my REALLY long TRE (was 4 1/2" thread) down almost 2"!!!

It looks like it will work with ~3/8" thread showing on both TREs.

The Left handed TRE had 2 1/2" thread. So now they match. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I did the same, cut a little off of both ends. I used a 14" cut off saw and then filed the inside down a bit until the TRE threaded in with ease.I'd rent the cut off box and get a good, clean cut on your expensive draglink.

Eric M.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm no expert.....but it sure seems like 2" of thread engagement on a DLE (you DO mean DLE not TRE don't you?) is still a LOT!!!!

I'm sure Triaged could extoll the complete shear-forces involved to pull out 2" of thread (or is that yield?)...

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that the shorter DLE will be the "weak link" up front.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

we did it on the trail with an air saw, a file, and a sawzall /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm no expert.....but it sure seems like 2" of thread engagement on a DLE (you DO mean DLE not TRE don't you?) is still a LOT!!!!

I'm sure Triaged could extoll the complete shear-forces involved to pull out 2" of thread (or is that yield?)...

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that the shorter DLE will be the "weak link" up front.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are TRE's.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Nick,

Maybe I'm the one who has is backwards???... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What I'm referring to are the ends that are threaded ALL the way to the joint. I remember that Steve Fox used ends with a long unthreaded section on his and bent them bad in Moab. I think the idea is to limit the amount of threads/rod sticking outside the draglink....should keep things stronger.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Now you're coming to the reason we use the ends we use, they come with a shorter, cleaner thread. What you've done works fine, we had to do that a couple times before we fixed it.
    Cutting the draglink off that much seems a bit odd but we're finding lifts are all over the place and our best guess is usually on the long side, which means you cut the part off instead of sending it back and waiting for another. So it still works out, just sometimes a pain.

I recommend using something that has a table to clamp the tube into. Or a hand hacksaw or sawsall with a VERY careful operator.