Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to deal with bump steer???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazin Ed, May 6, 2002.

1. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

Hey Guys... I installed a 4" lift with a 4" steering arm... When I'm driving on the freeway it still seems to jerk the steering wheel quite a bit everytime I hit a bump. Is there any way to lessen the bs or even eliminate it completely? I miss the smooth steering characteristics I had before the lift. Any advice would be great...

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

dual steering stabilizers may help a bit, but will not get rid of the problem. check your alignment, did u shim your front axle? i think most of us have just learned to live with the condition, be sure to leave your thumbs out of the wheel as you are cruising down the road.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Need a few more details.
    Do you have a steering dampner?
    Did you hook up the sway-bar? Did you use disconects?
    What angle is the drag link at?

4. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

I installed 1 ES3000 Pro comp steering stabilizer, didn't do anything with the sway bar ( I did read something about swaybar drop down kits), the drag link seems to be slightly off level... Would the sway bar be a good place to start?

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Who is the lift made by? I had terrible bump steer problems when I put on my Tudd coutry lift. I put on dual stabilizers, and the ORD sway bar drop. It helped out alot, but it was still there. You will learn to live with it. Also the ligther you get your truck the more it goes away. When I took off over 1000 lbs it almost went away.

Dan

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I dont think the stabilizers have any effect on bumpsteer.
    what sucks is that to reduce bumpsteer you have to experiment.
    that means try a bunch of stuff to see what works best for your truck as what works for me may not work for you.
    I would be tempted to try a 2" drop pitman arm with a factory steering arm.
    then use blocks to raise stock steering arm to see if you can find the sweet spot.
    the swaybar can be used to force the axle to travel in an arc similar to the draglink.
    basicallythe swaybar and draglink must be parrallel. this binds the springs though and I dont like the idea

7. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

i agree with mj here on this one
    only add how is your "slop" in the gear box to add 2 it its a small factor but none the less 1 2 keep in mind