Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to determine if a 14 bolt has a detroit locker in it.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FSJeeper, May 30, 2002.

1. FSJeeper

FSJeeper 1/2 ton status

I have a 14 bolt axle that is supposed to have a detroit locker in it. It is out of the vehicle. Is there a quick way to check without tearing down the carrier to find out? It either has a detroit, or open. No posi.

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

spin one wheel. if the other turns it has a locker.

NITRO

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Jack up the whole rearend so both tires are off the ground.

Turn one tire one direction and watch the other tire spin along in the same direction.

Then quickly jerk and spin the tire in the opposite direction.

While the tire is spinning in the opposite direction and the other is still spinning the other direction, you should be able to hear some "clicking" while spinning the tire in the opposite direction from the other. "Clicking" noise is evidence that a Detroit Locker resides in the carrier. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

This "clicking" noise will sound very much like your normal hand-held ratchet tool.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Does it bang really lound when you shift from reverse to drive or vice versa? ...or try and straighten out when you throttle into a corner? .. Oh, and the above works too /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I just got mine installed, what fun!

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

dont you love the bang...makes me thing something is wrong with it sometimes...that and the clunk after slowing down for a stoplight...sounds like i lost the whole transmission

Later

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

DAMN........have you been driving my truck???? That's exactly what mine does. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, that bang from reverse to forward is due to the infamous Detroit slop. You get about 20 degrees or so of free pinion rotation from "lock to lock" in each direction. Same thing when the axle over drives when you let off the gas in a corner, then get back on it. Just taking up the slop…

9. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

drive it around the block or go up a dirt hill in 2WD, if you have one you'll know /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. FSJeeper

FSJeeper 1/2 ton status

lol, thanks for the advice.

For the record, I know what a Detroit feels like and acts like in a running vehicle. This axle is taken out of a M1010 CUCV Ambulance and I was not sure if they had a Detroit or not like the other CUCV trucks.

I am surprised someone did not offer a test of hauling a 10,000 lb loaded trailer at 70mph down a mountain pass, backing off the gas and then nailing it hard it in a hair pin turn to determine if it has a Detroit in it! LMAO

Anyway, thanks for the help.

11. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

I think most military trucks with the 14 bolt axles had limited slips. Better check if you want a locker, detroit will only work with a "open " axle.

12. FSJeeper

FSJeeper 1/2 ton status

Every CUCV 1.25 ton truck I have had or know of came with a Detroit Locker in the back 14 bolt. The CUCV Blazers all came with a gov lok in the back. I have not figured out why, but some of the CUCV trucks had either a trac lok or powerlok in the front Dana 60. The only why to tell on the front is to take the fill plug out and actually look at it. To my knowledge, there are no identifying numbers on the truck that would let you know if it has a posi in the front.

I have read somewhere that every CUCV Truck does not have a Detroit in them. I have never seen this in practice but if any CUCV would not have a locker, it would seem the CUCV M1010 Ambulance would have an open rear. I have not checked it yet based on the advice I will find out this weekend.

Thanks