Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to determine if AC is running?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 29, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

How could I determine if my AC compressor is running all the time? Once in a while when I am just sitting there I hear a click and the idle changes a little then it stops. When I am driving around if I put my hand next to the vent its colder than the air rushing by the truck. Seems to me like the AC compressor is running all the time. I know on my 95 I could push the AC button and listen to the idle change when the compressor cycled. The buttons and guages are off as far as AC goes, if its on its stuck on.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm could always turn the fan on and see how cool it blows.... wow my mind is gone today. But at the sametime I think the system needs a charge since I've tried to get it to blow ice cold and not succeeded. Point is, I never use AC and don't care to but prefer not to lose the mileage for something I'm not using.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

Have the truck running and have someone swtich on the ac and watch the cluch on the compressor if it dosent move and your ac is cold and is on, then it is stuck on.

4. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

if your defrost is on it cycles your compressor to keep the air from getting too warm on the windshield.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The reason your ac compressor cycles with the defroster is to dry the air so it does a better job defogging the windshield.

You can test if your air is stuck on by disconnecting its power directly at the compressor.

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, just get out with the truck running and see if the inside of the clutch is spinning with the a/c turned off... If it's not spinning it's off, if it is spinning it's on.

And like was said above, if you have your defroster on it will cycle the compressor on and off. Also something to watch for is condensation, if your a/c is on all the time you should see a condensation puddle on the ground behind the right front tire after sitting for a while.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

You can tell too by simply LOOKING at the compressor, if the clutch is turning,,,,,,IT'S ON. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

It's pretty obvious if the compressor is turning /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

GOOD GRIEF come on already.

Are you just bored and like to post up this type of stuff or what?

8. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

Learn something new everyday.....thanks for the info!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Did you not notice that I never ever use AC? How would I know what happens when its on if I never turn it on? I always leave the vent on Defrost part so there is my answer /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif never have the fan on but I doubt it matters. Thanks guys, explains why when its really humid and I have the window open the windshield likes to fog once in a while.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The reason your ac compressor cycles with the defroster is to dry the air so it does a better job defogging the windshield.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though you don't use your ac, if your always on the defrost setting, then you ac compressor is on and cycling.

Thats the click and idle change your hearing.

BTW, just using your quote, not commenting against it Tim

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though you don't use your ac, if your always on the defrost setting, then you ac compressor is on and cycling.

Thats the click and idle change your hearing.

BTW, just using your quote, not commenting against it Tim

[/ QUOTE ] Thank you, much more constructive than the first one.

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well thats because i can't draw you a picture on here though, good luck with it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif