Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to determine missing teeth on flywheel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 9, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

How would I determine if I have teeth missing on my flywheel? Since I've gotten the burb it has trouble starting once in a while well its gotten REALLY bad now. The starter just spings and doesn't engage. The only way I get it to work is if I put the truck in gear, and actually push it(definetally not easy) then try it, and hopefully it catches. I'm guessing this means missing teeth on the flywheel. Its a pain and extremely embarassing when people watch you push your vehicle and hear a starter just whir. I have to figure this out cause its my daily driver, I can't afford having it down for even a day. This is the second starter, the first one didn't have any problem with the teeth though there were lots of metal flakes inside the starter snout.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Climb under yer rig and remove the half moon inspection cover. You will beable to see most of the teeth then. You could put yer rig in nutral, disconnect your coil wire,hook up a hand held starter button thingy that sears sells for 8 buck and crank your engie over wile watching your flywheel.OR use a screw driver and short out your startes silly, just harder to have your eyes in two places /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    Good luck

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

On a stock motor..
    I was able to turn the flywheel by hand..
    with gloves on..

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah well we will see. Damn truck. Dad is talking pulling the motor on saturday, doing the rear main thats leaking, flywheel and hopefully button it back up asap cause its my driver. I REALLY REALLY don't wnat to do that, cause I [darn] hate pulling a motor just for something like that, especially dealing with all that fuel injection crap.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Yep, just pull the cover off and look inside.
    I did mine last weekend, I broke a tooth off my flywheel when the starter engaged late /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Just take the inspection cover off and use a ratchet and socket on the crank pulley to turn it over and check the teeth. If they're are missing teeth and this is a flywheel and not a flex plate you can flip the ring with the teeth on it and reuse the flywheel...