Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to do a rattle can spray job

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Jul 22, 2003.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about painting my truck camo sandcolor. I obviously don't wan't the paint to start peeling of so any advice on how to do this right will be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

paint is 90% prep work. i've never done a camo paint job, so i'm not sure how you'd get it all with clean lines, but high quality tape and paper will obviously help.

the offical scheme for camo is on the internet (somewhere). try a search on Google

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Here are a couple of pics of my K5 when it was camo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All I did was sand the factory paint until it did not have any shine to it, then just started spray painting. I created the design as I went (did not tape off the design)

Here is haw the truck looks now:
    [​IMG]

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I do not believe you tape off a camo job. It is more like airbrushing than detailing or stenciling. You want the edges to blend together.

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input, actually I am planning on only using the sand color so I am more interested in any tips for prep. My plan is to put black steel wheels on it and paint the whole body with the sand color and leave my bumbers black as they already are. Cool, not cool, what do you guys think.

6. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

sounds cool..i was going to do that as well as black out the grill...after blacking out the grill i just went ahead and did the whole truck black. prep is the key as well as not painting on a windy day. paint up the nose sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. swilson

swilson Registered Member

Thats how I have my '74. All flat sand with black wheels, grill and bumpers. Also black herculined tub and rocker panels. Tan heep(pre '76 cj5) bikini topper also. Rattle can paint job could look better...i'm not exactly a painter. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I am highly pleased with the look. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. swilson

swilson Registered Member

ooooops...realized my sig line hadn't been updated to reflect what I was talking about. I need to get a digital camera so I can post a picture of it.