Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to drill a hole with a taper? *for steering arm*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, May 17, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You know how lugnut have an angled surface to them that fits in an angles surface on the wheel? I want to do that.

My steering arm had 4 1/2 holes already drilled. I want to drill/grind/whatever the cone into the top of the holes. What tool do I use? I plan to take the steering arm off and use my drill press, but I don't know what to use to do the work.

How can I drill the taper or cone into my steering arm?
    -- Mike

*update* I measured the angle of the taper - it is 30 degrees. SO I need something that will drill a 30 degree taper for the 1/2 hole. Would a die grinder cone chucked into the drill press work? Seems like that just isn't the right tool.
    -- Mike

2. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Re: How to drill a hole with an taper? *for steering arm*

If you are talking about the Counter Sink, they make a special bit for it. And yes it is called a Counter sink. You can also use a drill bit that is bigger. And just let it start to bite into it. You don't want it to have an edge around it so stop as soon as the teeth start to dig in and keep it perfectly straight or the counter sunk will be deeper on one side than the other. It's used for bolts that have a rounded edge on the bottom side of the head or Countersunk rivets. Just in case you didn't know. We use them alot in Aircraft. If a bolt has that than you need to countersink the hole or else the bolt is not as strong as it should be. Using your press will make it very easy. Hope this helped.

* The bits they sell should come in different degrees. We use 30 and 45 here at work. *

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The taper only needs to be maybe 3/8" deep (I will obviosuly measure it when I do it, but I'm just eyeballing the depth because I have a lugnut in my hand.)

It sounds like the countersink is uses for making a non-tapered indentation, kind of like what a Forstener bit does in woodworking.

If I'm confused, please tell me because I'd like to just go to the store and find something that will work!

- Mike

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A lug nut should have a 60 degree included angle. So you will need a 60 degree counter sink tool made for steel.

Here is one type:

[​IMG]

These are what I use usually:

http://calaero.zoovy.com/product/COUNTERSINK5161732

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Gracias.

-- Mike

6. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

If you look at the lug nuts they are tapered as well to fit into that countersink. If the bolt you are using does not have that under the head than don't do it. The bits they sell will give that exact angle to any hole as long as you get one big enough.The way we do it is using the countersink bit for about 2-3 seconds then triin the bolt/rivet to see if it is deep enough. You are right about the depth. It all depends on the countersink on the bottom of the bolt or rivet head as to the depth. I work with metal at work and have not delt with wood that much so I am alittle illiterate there. A countersink drill bit DOES do a TAPERED indintation. Just watch the depth. For example. If I drill a 3/8 hole and want a 45 degree countersunk than I would use a countersunk bit that is over 1/2" thick at the biggest part. Or I can use a 1/2" bit. and just barely hit the 3/8" hole with it dead centered and it will give me a 45 degree countersunk. But do not aloow the bit to actually start diggin in. Sorry if any of this confuses you. When teach new people I use the tools to demo and it makes it alot easier.

7. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Jason nailed it. We have those at work and that is what I was talking about. Sorry if I confused you at all.

8. willyswanter

I believe what he is doing is wanting to use studs and open end lug nuts to hold his steering arm onto his axle. This is the way that ORD makes there steering arms. He will be using a 60 degree lug nut so he needs a 60 degree taper.

Just countersink a little, test fit, countersink, test fit, etc until you get to the right depth.

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the calrification. It makes a lot more sense now.

My steering arm is held on with studs. I just have flat nuts on there but am changing them over to lugnuts and am going to put the countersink in there so the lugnut's taper will mate perfectly the steering arm.

I'm going to the tool store later to see if they have a 60 degree countersink made for metal. If not, I'll order one on-line.

Thanks again! I learned a lot.

-- Mike

10. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Sounds like Jason knows what you are doin. I may have gone alittle too indepth. I do that alot when teaching /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. I just love working metal. It's kinda like my thing you know. But what Jason said makes it alittle bit more clearer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Espeacally about drill alittle and test it. That's how we do it. Good luck. I may try that on mine when I get aROUND to actually re-doin EVERYTHING! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Mike,
    when you go to buy one make sure you get the right angle one, they come in diff angles. And doing it by hand you should get a 4-flute countersink...If your not in a big rush I could mail you one to use.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If your not in a big rush I could mail you one to use

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the offer Tony - I just ordered one online (local tool place had some 82 degree ones but no 60 degree ones.) It cost $5.95 with shipping.

What do you mean - doing it by hand you should get a 4 flute countersink? The flutes are the part of the bit that allows to the metal you are cutting to get out, correct? I'll be using a drill press, if that makes a difference.

[​IMG]
    -- Mike

13. willyswanter

When doing it in drill press or by hand you want at least 2 flutes. If it's a single flute then the one side is always pushing it off center. If your not using a mill that can keep it centered then it could be problem. With a 2 flute or more it's pushing evenly around it so it centers better. The more flutes, the better it self centers.

Did you buy a 60 or 82??? And 82 is a normal screw head counter sink and won't work with the lug nuts. You basically defeat your purpose...

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you mean, local place only had 82 degree so you bought a 60 degree online. Nevermind /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

If you are doing it for the tie rod ends those are the wrong ones. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Try here

15. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Oh I see /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif You are doing it for the studs. Sorry. I guess i should /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

17. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

nice job Mike, now if I could only get you up this way to put my truck back together... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Snap on sells any kind of taper drill bit you could need. Not too bad on price either. I had one for my old pitman arm on my Jeep to fit Chevy tie rod ends. Easy as pie.

Ken H.

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so how does the cap go over that countersink?

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That's a damn good question... </font>