Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HOW TO: Edit vehicles in insane *VIDEO*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Jan 24, 2006.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

VIDEO of the whole thing, its like a minute 27 seconds http://media.putfile.com/Insane-editing-tutorial
    i've gotten a few PM's, its very easy, it may look long, just read if :)
    here goes first download this and put in in your main game folder, the same one game.exe is located

now find out the file name of the vehicle you want to edit (you can only edit add on vehicles, and only certain ones)

now go to your vehicle folder and make a new folder in there with the same name as the vehicle that you want to edit
    so if you want to edit the ultimate cralwer, the file name is ult.idf, so make a folder called ult (you dont need the idf)
    now go to the main game folder, right click on the file "extract vehicles.bat" and choose edit
    when it opens you will see this " "idfmaker -x data\vehicles\FILENAMEHERE.idf"" just replace the filenamehere thing with the vehicle name, like this " "idfmaker -x data\vehicles\ult.idf""
    save it, close the window and run the file called "extract vehicles.bat"

now the car is unzipped, go to the vehicles folder, then open the folder called ult (or what ever car your working on at the time)

with notepad open the file called VEHICLENAME.vht (in this case it is ult.vht) you can either open notepad and search for the file, or double click the file, and at the prompt tell it you will specift which program to use.

You'll see all kinds of info there. Heres what you need to know to change things.. Everything in red is what you can mess with
    I copied alot of this from another tutorial, I wrote everything in red.
    ======================================================
    name Ultimate CK5 crawler
    [FONT=&quot][engine]
    mass 0.70 [/FONT]
    This represents the engines Flywheel Mass. Mass affects the engines torque, the greater the mass, the more torque.
    [FONT=&quot]power 2.55 [/FONT]
    At a guess I'd say this was measured in hundreds of horsepower e.g., 2.55 = 255 BHP
    [FONT=&quot]slowdown 0.010[/FONT]
    This affects engine braking, the higher the value the more of a slowing force the engine gives when the throttle is closed. It needs to be a fairly low number, otherwise the car wont move.
    [FONT=&quot]curve 0.10 0.18 0.34 0.56 0.74 0.85 0.90 0.95 0.97 0.9 1.0 0.99 0.97 0.91 0.85 0.63 0.1 <-- i never touch this
    [/FONT]
    This is the Torque curve of the engine, the default one is usually adequate.
    [FONT=&quot]rpmlimits 2000 17000 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]<-- i never touch this[/FONT]
    RPM Limits don't seem to like being messed with, its better to leave them as they are.
    It defines the Maximum and Minimum revs of the engine.
    [FONT=&quot]gears 5 0.0 0.18 0.30 0.42 0.52 0.62 0.70 -0.18[/FONT]
    Insane supports up to 6 gears, The first number tells the game how many gears the car has. The next number is neutral, it's usually 0, but if you want to make your car act like an automatic then you might want to set a different value. The next 6 numbers are the values for the main gears. The final value is reverse, this needs to be a minus value otherwise the car will not reverse. Make it similar to 1st, or slightly lower.
    A Short Note on Gearbox Setups.
    Gears are used to help the engine move the car, lower gears are used to get moving, but will only allow the car to travel slowly, as such other gears are used to allow the car to travel faster.
    When setting up your gears it is useful to set the lowest and highest gears then space out the rest in an even manner, and in ascending order, otherwise you could find the gear change more than a little confusing.
    [FONT=&quot]fuel 30.0 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]<-- i never touch this[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot] fueluse 20.0 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]i never touch this[/FONT]
    Fuel and Fuel use doesn't seem to affect anything, I would however assume that Fuel is the Tank Capacity. Not a clue about fuel use.
    [FONT=&quot][misc]
    brake 2.0 <- i've put 99.0 before and the tires lock up no matter what
    handbrake 4.0 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]<- i've put 99.0 before and the tires lock up no matter what[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    maxsteer 0.7 <-- this is the degree the front wheels turn
    steerangle 2.0
    steerwheelradius 13
    mass 1.5 <-- put 100 for a vehicle that crushes anything else out there
    airdrag 0.01[/FONT]
    Brake is the braking force applied when you push the brake, there is no specific scale to it, the same with Handbrake.
    Maxsteer is the maximum angle the front wheels will turn, measured in Radians
    Steerangle is the number of turns of the steering wheel'Lock to Lock'
    Steerwheelradius is the radius of the steering wheel, to allow the driver to grip it properly.
    Mass is the cars weight in Tonnes
    Airdrag determines how aerodynamic the car is. The lower the number, the more aerodynamic it is.

~

[FONT=&quot]intake 0 50 0 change the 50 to 1000 for an unfloodable vehicle[/FONT]

~
    [FONT=&quot]wheel 1 1 1 0 19 18 0 30 wheel.gem
    wheel 1 1 1 0 18 19 1 30 wheel.gem
    wheel 0 1 0 1 20 21 0 30 wheel.gem
    wheel 0 1 0 1 21 20 1 30 wheel.gem[/FONT]

The first number defines weather the wheel steers or not. 1 means the wheel steers in the direction the steering wheel turns, -1 means it does the opposite. Intermediate values can also be used (e.g. 0.5)

The Second number defines whether the wheel is driven or not. 1 for driven, 0 for not, -1 means that the car will shoot off backwards.

The third number defines whether the wheel is acted on by the brakes when you press the pedal. 1 means it is, 0 means it isn't

The fourth number defines whether the wheel is acted on by the hand brake when you press the button. 1 means it is, 0 means it isn't

The next 2 numbers define which atoms the wheels attach to. The first number is the atom the wheel is on, the second is the 'axis atom' the atom the wheel is linked to. You need to get these numbers right otherwise the wheels wont point straight ahead. For example, the right front wheel is attached to atom 18 and the left front is attached to number 19. the first number needs to be 19, and the second 18, this keeps the wheels at the same angle to each other, and pointing in the right direction.

The next number defines whether the wheel is on the right or left hand side of the car. 1 means it is on the right, 0 means it's on the left. This affects which way the wheels spin in game, not the positioning.

The next number defines how long the wheel will spin for if you roll the car. It ranges between 0 and 32
    Next item is the filename, usually wheel.gem, it can however be different, depending on whether there are different wheel models or not.
    The final number is the width of the skid mark of the tire.
    ===============================

after editing, save it and close.
    now go back to the main folder and run the file "make vehicles.bat"
    then start the game, that should be it. its really easy it just looks like alot :D

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Much coolness Branndon!!!

Rene

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Where is this folder at? I cant find it "extract vehicles.bat"

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

that is a file in the zip file you should have downloaded and extracted in your main game folder,

5. 85mudblazin

Ok found it, wasnt thinking it was in the vehicle editing file.

6. 85mudblazin

Crap when I open up the file in notepad it is all in symbols.
    What did I do wrong?

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i can't find the .vht file anywhere after running the extract vehicle.bat file.

8. 85mudblazin

Same here. I am doing the police car so I tried opeing the police.idf file and its just symbols.:crazy:

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

police car is a stock vehicle
    you can not do stock vehicles
    you can only do certain downloaded ones

10. big83chevy4x4

i tired the ural 6x6, the 66 chevy crawler, and the ultimate chevy crawler. once i run the extract vehicles.bat, there is no .vht file anywhere on my comp.

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

MY PROBLEM! lol in the file it should be
    "idfmaker -x data\vehicles\ult.idf"

NOT

"idfmaker -x data\vehicles ult.idf"

i just tested it, it works, i'll record a video for you though :)

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks Branndon!!! much better!

Rene

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

14. big83chevy4x4

sweet, thanks. my chevy just got a new motor :D

also it might be a good idea to keep a copy of the unedited .idf files in a seperate folder somewhere incase you want to change back and don't remember where you got it.

15. 85mudblazin

When I run the extract vehicles thing is just flashes real quick, not like yours that has alot of stuff on it:crazy:

16. big83chevy4x4

did you right click and edit it so that it knows what .idf to go extract?

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If you edit a vehicle and join a network game with it will it kick everyone out?

Ira

18. 85mudblazin

yep

19. 85mudblazin

ok I got it to work but it still cant find the .vht file.

20. 85mudblazin

Nevermind I got it:D