Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to evaluate Blazer for sale

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fredekr, Jul 12, 2002.

1. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

Hey Everyone--

Hope this is on-topic. I'm looking at a 1977 K5 Blazer for sale down the road. I don't know anything about Blazers, so I'm trying to figure out what I need to look at, figure out, etc.

The blazer I'm looking at as a pop-up camper modification which would be perfect for me. It's got 164K miles but a '95 350 engine with 11k. It's got a fair amount of rust in the doors but the frame, suspension, wheel wells look okay... the springs look a bit tired.

It's got some aftermarket part-time transfer case that won't stay in 4wd without a bungy cord to keep it there. Stock tranny as far as I can tell (3 speed automatic).

Any help about what to look for, what to be concerned about, etc. is helpful. My goal is to have a bombproof 4x4 for moderate stuff (see my note below). I rarely go out 4-wheelin for it's own sake, but I do go a long way from civilization so I need confidence in the machine. Should I be worried about the extra weight of the camper on this thing?

For background, I'm not a hard-core 4x4er but I do use 4lo frequently to get to obscure areas to go rock climbing. I currently have a mostly stock 88 Toyota pickup (I know, I know) that I can manage to bounce up 3+ trails. So, I look for a hwy/off-road tradeoff.

Thanks for your help,
    Kevin

2. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The blazer I'm looking at as a pop-up camper modification

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually that's not a modification. It sounds like you've found a Blazer Chalet. They were only made for 2 years, 76 and 77. They're rare trucks, I've only seen one in my life and it was for sale for $6500. I believe it sold, too.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Do a search for Chalet here on CK5. There has been some talk of it and some links. They are pretty rare. May be worth getting and (dare I say it) restore it.

As far as taking it off road, I am not too sure about that. Well too far off road that is. They are fairly heavy.

4. fredekr

Thanks for the replies. I should have noted that this isn't OEM -- it's a 1994 Hallmark camper. It's is good shape, much better than the Blazer underneath.

I'm still hoping to find information on what to look for on these to see what kind of stuff I might need to fix or watch out for. E.g., that riveted crossmember I saw on another thread?

Here's some moe specific questions:
    Could I increase gas mileage with a 4-speed auto or manual tranny?
    What kind of aftermarket transfer cases are there -- I'd like to try to ID the one that's one there (the current owner doesn't know) -- and what kind of quality are they?
    Given the extra camper weight, is it worth upgrading axles? What's on there now (I'm pretty confident they're still stock)?

Thanks again for any help!
    Kevin

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

can the camper be taken of those blazers or are they like that?

Bryan

6. fredekr

This one is integrated; it's not like a pickup camper that can be slid off relatively easily.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It is probably not an aftermarket transfer case, but just a stock transfer case with an aftermarket part-time kit in it. These were (and still are) readily available for NP203 equiped trucks. The popping out of 4WD may just require a linkage adjustment or at worst a mild case rebuild.

8. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Your main and most frustrating enemy is RUST!!! I've been through 1 truck cuz of it.. so i have some idea on what to look for.. though it may be a little different since you have some kinda weird camper thing... but, anyway:
    1. Around the area where the front seatbelts bolt to the lower side of the tub, that likes to rot out. look at the corners from the rear wheels well to see if it's rotted out. If you see any carpet, you're gonna have a project
    2. tailgate area likes to rot out.. especially the tailpan, which is where the tailgate hinges go. This truck doesn't have the tailgate probably, though, correct? Check it anyway, cuz it's a spot that these trucks love to rot out on.
    3. Rot also likes to form around where the driver's and passanger's feet go.. cuz the carpet soaks up the moisture and the floor rusts from it
    4. Rocker panels are probably the most obvious place you can see. It's basically where you step in order to get in the truck. If it's soft or cracking, it may be a project. if the rockers appear fine, look from the underside to see if the backs of the rockers are still in tact.
    That's about all I can think up right now.. if I come up with anything else, I'll let you know

9. fredekr

Thanks for the specifics on rust locations; very helpful!