Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to figure out what kind of radiator and fan...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Sep 6, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I wont get these for a long time, but I will be getting an alum. radiator, and an electric fan.
    My question is first:
    How do I figure out what size of radiator I need, ie how many "cores" etc to cool a BB chevy or pontiac. I would rather have overkill, then not enough... I need to consider the width and height, for when I narrow my fenders, I dont make it to small.
    secondly, what kind of fan would be good to cool a large engine like that?
    I will have more questions later, as I dont know anything about radiators...
    like I said, I will not be getting these soon, I just want to know the ideal size, etc. Thanks!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally believe that nothing beats a mechanical fan.

I would analyze what size radiator came in the vehicle that donates your engine, and go from there with your upsizing. Not running air conditioning helps a lot to gain more cooling.

I have a 3 core in my truck, with a 4 speed and a decent mech fan and a half ass shroud. It's hardly sufficient for the engine as it is. If I had a complete shroud I think my 3 core would be plenty adaquate for my 350. I guess only time will tell to see what I mess with on my cooling system. All in all, mine is pretty good though. It has never overheated except when my water pump went bad at real truck challenge.

3. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

The only time I messed with my radiator was when I had a 69 bronco, and couldn't find a replacement..had it recored, with a 4 cores vs standard 3. never overheated, and it didn't have a shroud.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, if you are going to run elec fans, use factory ones (like taurus or ford mini van) they are hella powerfull. AFA which aluminum radiator, pick a manufacturer and get the biggest one they make. I think Summit sells rebadged aluminum rads that are 2 core, 1" tube all-aluminum jobs that would work well.

j

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

If you go with a generic aluminum radiator be sure to get one with the transmission cooler lines if you have an automatic transmission. I'd have to agree with using a Taurus or Winstar fan if you're set on electric. I'm using a Flex-a-lite Black Magic fan and an aluminum radiator in my '56 and it just does the job. I'm going to check on the Taurus and Winstar fan sizes to see if one of them will fit my needs.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I want to use an electric fan, so on water crossings, or playing in mud, I can turn it off so the mud/water wont wreck the fan blades...
    I will check into those factory fans you guys suggested when the time comes near.. and when I look into a radiator, I will find the biggest one I can, with a tranny cooler line for my th-400 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Thanks for th ehelp!

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you are also making it a crawer too right? you have been talken about a doubler and stuff.

so rpms and not moveing much right? so over kill as much as posable.
    the 455 pontiacs had a small top flow rad, so a truck sized one will be great /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yeah it will be for rocks and mud mostly...
    I will do overkill as much as I can...

9. abcjames

abcjames Registered Member

Late model burbans came with an auxiliary elec. fan that you can pick up from a parts store that sells DELCO much cheaper than most aftermarket fans and can be a puller or pusher.