Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to find TDC?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I need to know how to find TDC on my motor. I can't use the timing marks on my damper. Apparently the techs at Chevy dealer installed the wrong damper on my motor so it doesn't read right. I need to know how to find where TDC is so I can make a new mark on my damper so I can time my motor correctly instead of just by ear. Thanks

Harley

2. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

well the only real way to find true top dead center is to take the head off, and degree the cam. you'll need a degree wheel and some sort of stop setup to stop the piston just before tdc. you could aproximate tdc by taking the sparkplug out, and with the valve cover off bring the crank around until #1 comes up with both valves closed on the up-stroke. go past tdc so you know where the top of the stroke of the piston is and then go back and put the piston at it's highest point. this will get you within 2-3 degrees anyways. close enough for the girls I go with.

-Scott

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Naw... You can buy a piston stop that doesn't require the head to be removed. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Check this one out from Comp Cams. It just screws into the place of the spark plug:

[​IMG]

Here's the details: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2D4795 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But it seems like it would take a pretty small degree wheel to fit on the crank while the engine is in the truck. Perhaps some degree tape on the existing balancer would be useful to get it "close enough".

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have that same piston stop in my toolbox and it works great. Only had to use it twice and it was well worth the $10 I paid for it.
    If you are really cheap, you can make one. Brake an old spark plug and get a bolt, any bolt, that you can thread in where the ceramic went.

The positive stop is great.
    -- Mike

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I thought they made something like this but I was not sure. Thanks for the info and link Harry.