Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to fit 35's under the rig

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88jimmyoungowner, Dec 17, 2001.

1. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

how to fit 35\'s under the rig

what is the best 6 inch lift for my 88 jimmy? I want to get 35's under there, and with no trimming. I am a 16 year old so i am not a money bag. What about the combo packages from 4-wheel parts(the ones with lift and tires and wheels) Can i get 35's with a four inch and no trimming, and them work well? I want the lift, rims and tires for 2500 or less.

16, 88 jimmy, kearning, but still need help

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Re: how to fit 35\'s under the rig

35s under a 4" will rub at full flex. Or, they may not! It really seems to vary from rig to rig. From my experience, my 35s rubbed real bad with a 4". Tore the snot out of my fenders. As a matter of fact, with 1" body lift, 4.5" bumpstops, and fender trimming back to the inner fender, I still rubbed once this last trip!

For economics, I would recommend the Rough Country lift. It isn't the softest or the smoothest, but it is the best bang for the buck (my opinion). Get it directy from them (My Jimmy with all her projects!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

but blocks can be quite dangerous

<hr></blockquote>
    In the front maybe...in the rear they may not be the best way to lift a rig but they are legal and safe. Axle wrap is the biggest problem with blocks. An alternative would be a shackle flip for the rear with 2 1/2" springs and 6" front springs.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. 88jimmyoungowner

what is a shackle flip?
    I would proably have the lift done professionally, and so ease is not a problem for me, but paying for labor is.

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

To tell ya the truth you should really try to put the lift on yourself...you can learn alot really qick about your truck by doin it yourself...if the issue is that you dont have space at home or even the equipment to do it then ya then take it to someone...but if you do have a free weekend, space to work, and tools you could put a lift on your rig in a better part of a day...my first time it took me about 10 hours from rollin it into the shop to driving it home......when i lifted my truck 3 years ago it cost me a total of 350 for a 4 inch lift...springs in the front and blocks in the back...i was very happy with it for what i used it for...more of a street poser more than anything...but now that i am gettin more and more into goin off road...i upgraded to a shackle flip in back...for a first timer i would prob get someone to help ya on that...but its still doable yourself...to do that you need to order the kit from ORD (off road design) and then drop your gas tank and get ahold of a grinder or torch..i like the torch personaly but you can do alot more damage that way if you screw something up....but just cut the rivits off the rear hanger and then bolt up the new bracket from ORD...now that is alot more envolved ..but if you are goin to be goin off road it will help ya out...if you are just keepin it a street poser then dont bother with a flip kit...wasteing your money if ya do...now the front the only real problem you will prob have is the steering arm on the driver side nuckle...thos are a pita to get off...pull the 3 nuts off the top of the arm and give the arm H$ll with a BFH...if that dosent work heat up the arm around the studs but not the studs themselves..and then give it H$ll again...once you get that off the rest is easy....all bolt on...you will save alot of $$ if you do it youself...figure most 4x4 shops (at least around here...there is no 4wpw around me so..) will charge you around 350-400 to install a lift...is that really worth it??? when you can put that 300 into something else that will either help your rig off road or make it look better! Just some things to think about.... i am sure someone that lives neer you would be more than willing to come over and give you a hand if you needed it!

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5>http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5</a>[​IMG]

6. 88jimmyoungowner

ok, now that you say that i should do it at home, i am convinced. Now all i need to do is figure out what kind of lift i want. I do want to fit 35's on there. So a 6 inch is needed. Is there a good brand besides BDS, becasue they don't sell but to certain people. I don't know whether or not they have someone near me that can sell me a lift. What kinds are anybopdy out there using? Are rough country or tough country better? Please give info.

7. 88jimmyoungowner

almost forgot....How can i get my speedometer and odometer in sync when i get bigger tires? I am young, so i can't afford speeding tickets and loose my liscence, so .........

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Tuffcountry is by far better. Just get the HD rear springs since the weight of the top. As for speedometer, you need to take it somewhere to have them get the right gear put in there, or just play around with different ones till you get it close. Dont forget you will need to regear for the taller tires, or it will be really slow, and you wont be able to use overdrive.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

9. 88jimmyoungowner

one thing you will not convince me to do is a gear swap

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i woulend even try a gear swap either...at least without somethere that knows what they are doin...too much $ at risk to screw that one up.

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5>http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5</a>[​IMG]

11. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

You can always get a shop to change the gears... but of couse you don't have thatkinda of money as you stated before, so you can keep the way you are... unless you have under 3.08, then I'd stick with 33's cheaper on your part in many many ways, The curent truck i have ran 3.08's with 35's for a LONG time ive only owned it for a lil bit and stuck in some 4.56 BIG difference. But its your choice... find out what gear ratio you have now, if its 3.08 or below stick with 33's if you have like 3.73 you can move up to 35s without worrying that much.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    In desperate need of a rebuild.
    Next- Eaton mech locker... Flows.

12. chevysrule

chevysrule Registered Member

I'm only 18 and know what youre going through. I have a 3/4 ton with 8in lift and 35's. with this setup the speedo is generally 3-7 miles under what it should be so just be carefull. 4wheel parts has a 6inch lift, procomp wheels, and 35inch procomp mud terains for about 1400$ not a bad deal if you ask me. Good luck man

13. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Come on you dont have a second offroad vehicle chevysrule. I was just reading your profile :) I am 19 and have 4 vehicles, and getting ready for my 5th, just havent decided if its going to be a show truck, another race car, or a jet boat :)

Anyways thats a good price for a complete kit. And figure another 1100 for gears. They arent that hard, but you need alot of patience and the tools.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>