Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How To Flush Out Motor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Feb 22, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

what is the best way to flush out an engine that had a blown head gasket? i have the heads pulled of the car right now, and the block is still in it. is there anything i need to do before i put it back together?

2. bigrollin76

bigrollin76 Registered Member

check your oil to see if you have any water in there. then put everything back together and get a radiator flush treatment form auto zone. run that through your radiator and you should be fine. if you got any water down the distributor or oil ports where your lifters are change your oil and maybe flush it with one quart just to get all the water out. i just did the same with my engine about 3 months ago. it just sucks cause my crank bearings where shot and i had to rebuild it. k5, 76, 350/350/203, 3/4 ton conversion, locked front and rear.

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

My friends father told me this trick a while ago, though I never had to use it yet. If you get an engine that is really full of sludge:

Drain the oil and change filter.
    Refill with ATF.
    Start and let engine heat up...note...dont rev it high and dont drive it.
    Drain ATF.
    Refill with oil and change filter.
    Change oil and filter within the next 500 miles, then 1000 miles after that.

That should clean everything out. He has done it to several cars with great results... even the car that had 45000+ original miles and no oil change :doah:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  4. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

I would put a bottle of autorx in the motor and a new filter. Follow the autorx instructions. The autorx stuff has some really aggressive esters that liquify sludge. The stuff has a website to learn more.