Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to focus?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 4, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have a hard time reading anything at home in books, manuals, etc etc. I need to read a manual on rebuilding a qjet, and I can't stay focus...I can read it fine, but half the time i'm not sure if i'm actually sucking in the information, or if I am just reading it. Same with a rebuild book on the th-400, need to read that.

How do you guys stay focus on reading, and just reading? My mind is always racing about millions of things.

Also, it happens a lot during night when i'm trying to sleep. My mind was racing last night. it took me over 1.5 hours to fall asleep...some of the things I was thinking about was; the jimmy, the carb, the th-400, making money, did I do all the homeowrk for school tomorrow, did I take my vitamin pills, how much money do I owe my mom, and tonnes of other stuff.

Any suggestions?

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Steve, this is a problem many of us face in everyday life... some people call it Adult ADHD, and I've often found myself doing exactly what you were doing last night. Thinking about money, trucks, and family... it's completely normal, but the best way to avoid it and concentrate on your work is to sit down for an hour a day and think about all those things that are distracting you... THEN sit down and read your books. Another thing that can help is to turn off all the lights and use a book light. Much easier to concentrate when there is nothing else to look at.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i have the same problem, althought i was diagnosed with ADD in 8th grade, i dont know if i believe it. anyway when i read, i'm like zombied out, i'll read a page then kinda shake my head and go "What did i just read?" i was going through the motions but nothing stuck :(

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Sorry, Steve, welcome to life as an adult. My best advice is list all the things that are bugging you/occupying your thoughts on paper and start tackling them one by one. You have to learn to prioritze your objectives- looking at everything as a "whole" can often be overwhelming. AND MAKE SURE YOU'RE GETTING ENOUGH EXCERSIZE!!!!! There's nothing like a good 5 mile run to help you sleep at night.

I wanna play a little game- look at what's keeping you awake at night. Now pretend you're 10 years older. Imagine how you'd feel if you were worried about your job security, paying a mortgage, putting food on the table, having a reliable vehicle for your wife to drive, keeping your kids clothed and in swimming lessons and soccer, saving for your kids' university and your own retirement, all while trying to provide your family with as many of the "better" things you can afford. I can remember being where you're at in life, and when I look back it's kind of funny what I USED to worry about.......

I'd like to be a little more sympathetic, brother, but trust me, it only gets tougher from here on in. Just remember that if you have food on the table and a roof over your head and are able to go for a walk without worrying about getting killed, you've got it better than 80% of the world's population.

5. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Good words Canmore... I am thinking about those "10-years later" things now, and when I was Steve's age, I thought about other things too.... but yeah, now I am worried about job security, taking care of my kid, and my wife... as well as my own business that isn't doing so well but should be.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't buy into Attention Deficit Disorders. I couldn't focus on crap in high school. I hated the stuff, plain and simple. I read Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five" cover to cover in about 3 days a month or two ago. I can focus just fine on something if I care or if I'm not under some time restraint. I've read a chassis book front to back in about a day because I cared to and no one said it had to be done tomorrow. Just remember you have all the time in the world when you are reading at your leisure. Sometimes I read half of a book and put it down for a week then come back and finish it in no time.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Don't let these pessimists worry you buddy, a good mind wanders like a drunken pony. When you need to concentrate, you will. The only place you need to concentrate and won't be able to is school, and school if as lame as a one legged horse climbing a 45 degree loose gravel slope. After it chunks its 105 pound jackhammer off a rock and smashes a foot.

Anyway, seriously, I'm cool and smart right? Well my mind is hellaciously broken and meandering. Don't worry

If you have 1.5 hours to worry when you go to bed, you;re not ready for bed. You should be falling down from exhaustion. I vary between 5 hour sleep sessions and 10 hour ones.

See how I'm rambling? Mind is wandering.

Focus will hit you when you need it.

BIG LESSON: Quit worrying. It ruins your quality of life.

8. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The funny thing is, I focus really well in school. Only a few times have I actually thought about trucks or something other than school work at school.
    It's just at home when my mind goes crazy.

I care about the stuff I want to read, hence why I am trying to read it more thorough by asking why I can't focus on it.

Paul,
    I know life will get tougher as I go, my dad always told me that. I don't want to worry about all that other stuff yet though. Although I don't really need to since i'm not moved out or anything...
    I like your idea of writing the stuff down and prioritising them...the only thing is half the stuff I can't accomplish any time soon.
    Mile? From a Candian! LOL just joking. I wouldn't mind running, but I can't get motivated to do it. I do workout every other day, so that tires my vody.

Thanks for the help everyne

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I suggest starting to experience pain, in various forms

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I find it very theraputic...

RJ is right, worrying has its time and place but spending a little bit of time calming yourself or just trying not to worry really helps. Even if you only live a few years, life is still long, no matter what anyone says things don't have to be done in the next 5 seconds. Take a step back, relax and go at the pace that you can.

12. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I find it hard to do alot of things when other is going on. if it is reading a book or even watching t.v. talking on the phone is hard to do if other people are talking much or the t.v. is on. I don't have this problem at work most of the time or working in the yard. A change in your diet can help a little but i have not had much luck in staying away from alot of food that it helps not to eat. But after you read over it and just note one or two things that not sure of start and keep the book there. When you start reading with the parts there in front of you it seems alot easier. Even if not rebuilding yet it is just something physicial to look at when you are wondering what it's talking about. I can search through elec and other prints when i need to at work but to just look at manuals when the machine is not broke is useless. :confused: If all else fails I got drugs if you are close for this among other things. Not mine just can get them and have them. :deal:

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Steve.. A good way to help concentration in anything is approach it like you had to teach it to someone else. Another thing that worked for me was to not just look at a page, but rather read it to yourself ( silently and don't move your lips) in your own voice. It'll force you to slow down and really get what you're reading.

Tom

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Tom,
    I will try reading it to myself, that makes sense about slowing down. I will try that soon.

15. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i have an extremely active mind, but no problems sleeping.

i can study in an unfamiliar place in isolation, with no distractions

for tests, i bring mtn dew with a double shot of smirnoff.
    probly not the answer you were looking for.
    i wear a digital watch so i know the time without reading hands, and i bring my lucky pencil, i dress comfortably and take a long shower first.
    i'm just saying this is MY answer... go find yours. :o

edit: this may be something you wanna cure if you're gonna follow through with that engineering thing, BELIEVE me.

16. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

well, if that doesn't work...it'll sure kill ya :D .

17. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Its going to sound crazy but be aware of caffinated drinks within 4hrs of going to sleep, that has helped me alot. I have a very active mind as well, if you weren't thinking and evaluating your day and flaws or things to fix how would you stregthen yourself? I also like the suggestion of reading it to yourself in your own voice silently, seems like everytime I retain something i read it to myself in my own voice.

Babysteps my friend, sometimes you can only take on the world one day at a time.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hate to tell you.....

I have to agree with the others who are saying they understand your dilema,and we all think the same way--but the difference is the type of problems,as we age things like how I'm going to do on that test tomorrow becomes will I get fired this morning for being late?Or will today be the day I get the call that my mother is dead--or will I find her dead in the house--I had to live in the fear of my fathers impending death for over 10 years--this is only a few of the things I am kept awake by--I wont go into losing my 2 best friends 11 years ago--I think too much too,and its a hard habit to break...

After you live thru things like that,getting a date for the prom,and all the other stuff you worried about in your teens and early twenties just seems kinda silly--but I'm not saying it isn't as real or as troubling as us older folks troubles are to us--just different....

Hate to sound pessemistic,but its true the troubles increase with age,both in severity,and how often they occur-this is why you must do as much as you can WHILE you can!--I wish I listenned to all my elders when they said that--I just took life for granted,figuring there is plenty of time,whats the rush?

-I wish I had the ten years back I wasted working behind a parts store counter,making the owners rich,and bankrupting myself paying for an apartment to live nearby--just so I'd have a job...Had I stayed home,I would have had more time with my dad before his parkinsons got so bad,we could have dome more together,and I would have been better off too,more money not spent on gas and an apartment..

-I have been lucky I was able to live at home as long as I did,I had a tough life working 63 hours a week and having barely enough cash for rent and food,and I could not even fix my truck where I lived!-If not for my parents,I'd have nothing at all--it sucked living under their thumb,and having to follow their rules,but hey,it IS their house-

-I only live here,do chores,run errands,and play chauffer to the doctor for her,and try to keep the place from falling apart or burning down due to senility setting in on my mom....I have to face the fact it could be any day this all comes to an end--and I cant focus either!!--..I'm nearly 47, and dont have a place to go if I'm not able to stay in this house after she goes,so I have to at least get a job to pay the taxes,then see what battles ensue over her estate--I'm not looking forward to it at all...

I cant focus long enough to get to a dentist,doctor,and look for a job I dont really want!--I'd much rather live here and work out of my garage,but like the Rolling Stones songs go--"You Cant Always Get What You Want"--and my life motto--"I Cant Get No Satisfaction"!! :frown1:

I cant read anything like I used too-my eyes suck big time lately-I can hardly read the keyboard and monitor!--so I drift off when reading a repair manual too--I just use them for a reference mostly--the trick is too actually DO it,but WATCH carefully BEFORE you take something apart(something I forget to do more and more as I get older! :blush: )--and then you will know how to put it back together--

Somtimes pictures alone arent enough,you have to get hands on experience--then you get experienced,and after awhile,cocky--and just when you think you can fix anything that comes your way,you get that one carb that has something different than ALL the others you had fixed--and in your haste you realize you zipped it apart fast without really paying attention--back to stage 1 :blush: It happens to us all,and more often than we'd like most of the time..thats life--it sucks--so have fun while you can before its too late!--and dont sweat the small stuff--there will be plenty of "big stuff" to worry about later in life--enjoy! :cool1:

19. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

you said it PAUL, STEVE you will be fine.WE all have things to worry about. :D :D

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't drink anything with caffiene anyways...no pop, coffee, anything like that.

Cure? How can I cure it? I don't think I will have a problem learning at university (engineer) because I focus well in school. Just maybe the review and homework (if there is any, whatever there is) I might have some trouble reading. But usually I can do it well.