Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to get 14ff hubs off drums?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jul 20, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hey guys, this is the only thing thats stopping me from doing my disc conversion. how do i get the 14ff hubs off the drums? do i just have to beat it? i have the hub/drum off the axle. also, how do i get the 8 lug studs out?

thanks

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

press/beat/hammer the studs out, the drum with come off

3. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Press them out if you can. Beating on them usually bends and messes up the studs and you can't re-use them for the disc conversion. They are expensive to replace, ask me how I know. :doah:

4. muddybuddy

so do i jus hit the hub til it separates from the drum? im considering dually studs so that part isnt that important, i jus wanna get the hubs off since i need to reuse them.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Have you removed the lug studs? Mine fell apart after the studs were removed.

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

WAH :confused:

so your doing a disc conversion on a 14ff? right? just re-use the studs you have. with the studs facing up beat then down into the drum, this will sperate the hub and the drum. BUT do not beat on the with a hammer directly, you will damage the studs. you need a brass drift or a brass hammer. using a brass drift place it between the stud and the hammer and beat on the drift. Brass is softer than steel and will not damage the studs.

7. muddybuddy

i read somewhere that the regualr studs might not be long enough, and that the dually studs would allow for more options with rims??? maybe i misread?

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

There was plenty of thread left on mine after a disc brake swap. The disk isn't much thicker than the drum, so not much stud length is lost, if any at all.

9. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

I beat mine out, but to prevent bunged up threads I screwed the lugnuts on until they were nearly flush with the end of the bolt. Then I beat on the lugnuts.

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh yer studs "should" be just fine. i'd try them first

11. muddybuddy

alright and then when i need to put them on the disc, what do i do to press them in? what kind of tool do i need? or should i just go somewhere and have them do it?

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I hammered mine in from behind. Lay the face of the hub down, set the rotor on it, install studs, hammer away. I used a piece of angle iron as a punch so I wouldn't hit the rotor with my hammer. You can tell when they are fully seated because the sound of your hits will change.

Any shop that has a hydraulic press can press them in also.

;)

13. muddybuddy

thanks alot.

i love this club, im glad i became a full member. the info i have learned on here has really saved me a ton of money. being a teenager and learning all this stuff and being able to do it myself is sweet.

14. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

What I di to press mine in was tap the studs in as much as you can with a hammer then to get the fit really tight flip the whole thing over install all the lug nuts(must be the open type) with the flat side toward the rotor. Then start going in a roughly star shaped pattern with an impact wrench hitting each nut with just a couple of impact "hits" each in rapid succession until everything is flush and tight. Worked great for me! make sense?

-jake

15. Kingston

Kingston Registered Member

Use a good punch and a hammer. Works great!!

16. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

14 bolt disk breaks

just beat them out with a nice hammer carefully and reuse the studs,they will be fine. I did it twice cause 1 of my hubs was leaking and had to change it again so i beat my studs out twice and the nuts went on smooth

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

See now this is good to hear, a younger guy, listing and asking questions instead of spewing off like he know's every answer to every question in the world, like some people on here, Ahem, not mentioning any names :D
    Good on ya man!!
    You will find by listining to the mistakes of other's you will save yourself alot of time/money/grief!!!!