Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to get a dog to stop digging?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 30, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

My dog is digging around our cherry tree...its not that big of a deal usually with a tree...but this one is only 2 years old and really tiny.
    We keep putting stuff over the holes, but then he just moves across on the other side. one hole he got down and tore some roots.
    Is there any way to get him to stop digging? I'd rather him dig where he poops. But not by the tree...it really makes me mad. He has 3 different holes there around the tree...

HELP!

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

stones, dogs don't like to dig through stones. Make a nice little stone garden thing around the tree.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you have a dog???

yeah put some patio stones or something down , he may just dig next to them but atleat not kill the tree.

or punishment, every times he does it smack him in the head with a 2x4.*

* not endorsed by peta.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

best method i have used is the fly swater. just easly swat them on the nose and tell them no. and thay learn quickly. then the few times thay start somthing bad just show them the swater. works like a charm.

5. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

first question is are you there when he does this or not? If so a punishment like a fly swater or water in a spray bottle is good. :D If you are not there then fence or netting. The fence or net does not have to be stood up but can be layed down around it so the boy/girl cannot dig. :smirk: This fence just stake down temp till the dog finds something new to entertain it. Occasionally it may need to get put back down. Is your yard fenced? :what: If not (or even if it is) just buy some fence and poles and make a kennel for when you are not there to keep the dog in for his own safety so he does not get in trouble. :thinking: Chaining a dog out is not good to do and for those liesened is not legal to do. :shame: Homemade pen with 5' wire buried a little at the bottom and green poles that you drive in the ground and can if time is taken to make a nice pin for less than 30. This gives a place for the dog when little kids come over to visit also. :thumb:

May also try asking at your local farm and feed store to see if they have somethin' to deturb the rascal from doin' this. May look at www.revivalanimal.com for some other ideas maybe :dunno:

6. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

If not out where there are feed stores ask them folks at pet smart or one of them other places. Well even go to thier web site.

7. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Cayenne pepper :waytogo: Cover up the holes he's dug and then sprinkle the pepper all over the dirt. Should work like a charm. We had Great Danes that liked to dig holes and this is how we got them to stop.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

The pepper idea is a good one. When mine dig in one place frequently I bury chicken wire just underneath the soil. it hurts their paws and they quit digging. I'd lay it all around the tree extending out about 6 feet on all sides, cover it with a few inches of dirt. Bury the ends a little deeper to hold it in. Then pepper on top.

9. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Had a friend put some baloons just under the dirt. After the dog popped a couple of those I don't think it ever dug a hole again. :D :D

10. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

shoot it

11. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Works everytime!

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You kids, so quick to kill

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Steve.. does the dog get lots of time with you or anyone else? Dogs dig because they're bored. Get him a good nylabone chew toy and let him go to town on that. If he's an outside dog, there's your problem.

just my .02

Tom

14. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

My husky doesn't mind rocks at all... in fact, if you guys saw my rock garden, you'd think I had just piled rocks up on the sidewalk and hadn't put them in yet... little **** digs up everything... and it isn't from boredom... its from excitement... he goes outside, and digs little trenches while we are playing with him... as soon as we put him out to pee, he digs a hole... its got nothing to do with boredom for most dogs... it's just fun... If your dog digs and leaves a hole without sniffing it, he's bored... if he digs and sniffs all the way to china, then he's just having fun with a bug, toy, or other something or other in the ground.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'll try that idea...thanks!

The dog is in his "yard" which is by the pool, and where the tree is. I could also try putting some netting or wire on the ground like someone suggested.
    I don't know why he digs holes...maybe he is bored. He gets a pretty bit of attention, but we don't walk him much (yard is big)

Thanks

16. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

My Husky is a friggin backhoe, and this trick worked for us.

Fill in the hole she dug and take some of her poop and place it on top of the soft dirt and all around. Once we did that, she stopped digging the spots we put the poop (and started new holes all around the yard) but at least she left the flowerbeds alone.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

exactly what we did with our older dog. just starting to break the younger of it. the older one doesnt dig at all now.

18. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

My dog ( dane - lab mix )only did /does it when we weren't paying enough attention to him, and he wanted to pass the time. He spent the first 4 years of his life as an outside dog in CO. Springs when lisa lived there. She moved back home to pittsburgh, but had to leave the dog with the ex. that poor dog lived in the backyard for a year, with little human contact except neighbors putting food over the fence while idiot boy lived at the new g/f's house with HER dog.

Anyway, we finally got the dog back here to cleveland, and it took him awhile to unlearn his digging habit. As you can see by the pics in the "lazy dog" thread, he's adjusted well.

Huskies have different reasons for digging.

they have high energy because they are bred to walk for miles and they get restless very fast.

Also, huskies dig in the wild for shelter.. it's natural for them to burrow so they hunker down in and get buried by the snow when they sleep.

Tom

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Well we ended up putting bark and rocks around the tree... 4 rocks plus enough bark to cover the dirt.
    So far he hasn't dug yet...but he hurt his leg so hes been lazy maybe :thinking: