Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to get a pinion nut loosened: the last resort way

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sidepipes, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Just thought I'd share my weekends experience in case it might help someone out.... most of the experienced guys probably know this anyways.

After a mud run on Easter Friday my rear end developed a bad front pinion seal leak so I figured I better fix it before I starved the front bearing of oil.

I tried to undo the pinion nut the proper way with a torque wrench( so you know what to torque it back up to) with no luck.... 150 ft-lbs of torque and beyond and no luck.

Next stop, a 36" breaker bar.... no luck.... a 36" breaker bar with a length of pipe.... still no luck.

So I try what I really don't want to try.... Iput the breaker bar up against the P.S. leaf spring, tie it to the spring with a bungee cord( only to keep the bar in place while I move it forward), lock the hubs, put it in 4-high and move it try and move it forward.

It finally broke free on the 4th try. Really scary because I could have broke the pinion, the threads on the piinion or the pinion nut..... but it was a last resort to get the nut off.

Alls well now, the leak is gone..... not really sure if I put enough torque on the nut but everything seems alright now.

2. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Next time you might try an impact gun. Even if you had to drive to a near by shop, have them zip it loose, then put it back on by hand till you drove home...

But a good fix at any rate. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif glad it worked out for the best.

3. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Top of the line Mac Tools impact wouldn't get it off. I 've seen this gun take off a lot of stuff and it wouldn't take this off.

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Someone used Loctight ?
    Some Loctight will lossen up with Heat.

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Top of the line Mac Tools impact wouldn't get it off. I 've seen this gun take off a lot of stuff and it wouldn't take this off.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i 2nd that
    i tryed my thunder gun on mine and no luck but a pipe will do it every time /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

has anybody had there impact explode on them? mine did today when i was removing the axel shafts from my 14bff so i could remove the stupid gov lock carrier. scared the hellouta me. but my dad fixed it and it worked again. i think its time for a new one.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

MAC, no way, Ingersoll-Rand!!

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My Rockwell 1/2" drive doesn't usually fail to get something off, but if it does, I got the 3/4" to get it off. That 3/4" will break your arms if you're not careful.